V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

air conditioner and fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 AM
coolbluestreak

Default air conditioner and fan

drove my car home the other day and a/c and fan were working fine, went out the next day to go some where and a/c and fan was NOT working. When I turn the a/c on the pulley stops, but if I don't turn it on then the pulley free wheels. Have changed the fuses and that didn't help. Any suggestions????
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Pulley Stops? What does that mean? The A/C compressor pulley either free wheels (A/C not running) or engages and turns the compressor. If the pulley were to stop while the engine was running it would destroy the belt in short order, accompanied by much smoke and noise.

If you mean the compressor clutch is engaging properly but their is no air coming out of the vents then the problem is in teh fan control circuits.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

the ac fan? as in the vent fan? Its on a variable resister and sometime they can burn out if you often run on almost full... If turning the fan to full it still works than the switch just needs replaced. If its a compressor clutch issue than I've not really messed with them so good luck!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
coolbluestreak

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Pulley Stops? What does that mean? The A/C compressor pulley either free wheels (A/C not running) or engages and turns the compressor. If the pulley were to stop while the engine was running it would destroy the belt in short order, accompanied by much smoke and noise.

If you mean the compressor clutch is engaging properly but their is no air coming out of the vents then the problem is in teh fan control circuits.
No the clutch is not engaging, it stops and I turn the car off before the belt gets torn up, and there is no noise or smoke. I've stood outside and watched it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
coolbluestreak

Originally Posted by Frantz
the ac fan? as in the vent fan? Its on a variable resister and sometime they can burn out if you often run on almost full... If turning the fan to full it still works than the switch just needs replaced. If its a compressor clutch issue than I've not really messed with them so good luck!

The fan does not work on any speed at all. I think it is weird that the a/c and fan quit at the same time
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by coolbluestreak
No the clutch is not engaging, it stops and I turn the car off before the belt gets torn up, and there is no noise or smoke. I've stood outside and watched it.
Have you watched the compressor clutch while the A/C is turned on? If so does the clutch engage for a second then release? (a sign of low coolant)

I'm trying to remember if the fan must be on for the compressor to engage. When I get home I'll look at the wiring diagram and see if there is something in common between teh blower and the A/C clutch.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

Just looked the only common component between the blower and the A/C clutch is the selector **** in the control panel. The mode control switch has multiple wafers, one controls the fan and the other provides power to the A/C clutch controls.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
coolbluestreak

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Just looked the only common component between the blower and the A/C clutch is the selector **** in the control panel. The mode control switch has multiple wafers, one controls the fan and the other provides power to the A/C clutch controls.
I had it looked at and it was the fan, the repair man hit where the fan was under the dash and the fan came on, so it was just the fan and I have scheduled to have the fan replaced.