V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Getting all 4 wheels off the ground - safety concern

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 AM
mo3nzo

Default Getting all 4 wheels off the ground - safety concern

Hello again!

So my transmission's been acting very odd recently and makes horrid sounds. I think the TO bearing is finally done, possibly some other bearings (pilot, shaft) may be bad as well. I just want to give it a look for now and get the parts that need to be replaced.

I'm currently buying parts to make a home-made step pattern ladder.

The question is - is it safe to get the rear wheels on the ramp, then jack the car up from the k-frame and place jack stands underneath where the frame rails are to level out the car? I'm concerned about the car shifting forward and causing the jacks to tip over and then..

I'm going to put wheel chocks in front of the rear wheels and have the hand brake on and whatnot, but it still kinda scares me.

I just need clearance! Stupid tranny jack adapter on my jack is 11.5 inches high when it's completely low, and I have no idea how tall the transmission would be.

Any ideas or things to watch out for?

Lemme know!

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

i would probably try to get the fronts on ramps and the rear on jack stands if possible. i dont have any reason why except its easier to jack up the rear when the front is lifted instead of jacking up the front while the rear is lifted
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by 03shadow
i would probably try to get the fronts on ramps and the rear on jack stands if possible. i dont have any reason why except its easier to jack up the rear when the front is lifted instead of jacking up the front while the rear is lifted
I was thinking about that, but where would i jack it up from exactly? Is it okay to put the stands under the axles?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'm gonna go with 03Shadow on this one. Front on ramps, back on stands. Be even better if you could get four jack stands and have them on all four corners. Remember, you may need to go up once you get the tranny down so that you can get it out from under there. Jack stands under the rear axle will be fine. If you are worried about safety, throw some blocks under the tires so that it won't fall.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
mo3nzo

Originally Posted by CPTCO
I'm gonna go with 03Shadow on this one. Front on ramps, back on stands. Be even better if you could get four jack stands and have them on all four corners. Remember, you may need to go up once you get the tranny down so that you can get it out from under there. Jack stands under the rear axle will be fine. If you are worried about safety, throw some blocks under the tires so that it won't fall.
Yes the blocks do sound like a good idea. The thing I'm worried about is not having enough clearance. Do you guys have an idea of how tall the T-5 transmission would be? I'm going to have roughly 8.5 inches of space left for the tranny after the car is up on ramps and the jack is at its lowest point - is that too little or good?

Appreciate the help guys!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Not sure how tall the T5 is. I'm thinking eight and a half inches is going to be pretty tight. But if you get it loose and on the ground, you can go up with the jack and then slide it out.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Make a shop pit in your backyard.

anyways, Ramps and Jacks.