V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Random "no start" issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:48 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Default Random "no start" issues

Been having random no start issues. I can start it up and it will run perfect, however, sometimes after shutting it off, it won't start back up again. It cranks strong but does not fire up. It could be a few minutes, hours or days before it decides to start again.

I was able to get it started, so I took it to a ford dealership to have it check out and they could not duplicate the problem because it always started up just fine for them. So, I went to go pick up my car from them and went outside to go home and it wouldn't start! I went back inside and told the service manager that it woudn't start for me. He walked outside with me to check it out. After having me turn the key on/off a few times to help build fuel pressure, it still didn't start. Then he pulled a plug wire off to check for spark. He then told me that it was randomly firing and the spark was weak when it did fire. He told if I kept it there until monday, he would have the mechanic check it out some more.

Initially, I thought it was the fuel pump failing but now that doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas of what would cause the plugs to not fire sometimes? When I turn the key to "on" I am able to tell if the car will start or not just by listening to what I think is a relay clicking or not clicking.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated so I can prepare myself for what the shop may find at fault.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Mike T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by import slayer
Been having random no start issues. I can start it up and it will run perfect, however, sometimes after shutting it off, it won't start back up again. It cranks strong but does not fire up. It could be a few minutes, hours or days before it decides to start again.

I was able to get it started, so I took it to a ford dealership to have it check out and they could not duplicate the problem because it always started up just fine for them. So, I went to go pick up my car from them and went outside to go home and it wouldn't start! I went back inside and told the service manager that it woudn't start for me. He walked outside with me to check it out. After having me turn the key on/off a few times to help build fuel pressure, it still didn't start. Then he pulled a plug wire off to check for spark. He then told me that it was randomly firing and the spark was weak when it did fire. He told if I kept it there until monday, he would have the mechanic check it out some more.

Initially, I thought it was the fuel pump failing but now that doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas of what would cause the plugs to not fire sometimes? When I turn the key to "on" I am able to tell if the car will start or not just by listening to what I think is a relay clicking or not clicking.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated so I can prepare myself for what the shop may find at fault.
Sounds to me like a bad coil.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

I thought maybe that might be it too but wasn't sure since there're are all kinds of sensors and relays
Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

There are many different kinds of no start issues. When you try to start the car does nothing happen? Does it turn over but not start?

If you can tell if it will start based on hearing a click or not when you turn the key, it sounds like an electrical problem. The click is most likely a relay as you thought. Pop the hood, put your ear near the fuse box and have someone try to start the car. you’ll here the fuel pump relay click when the key moves to the ON position and then you’ll here the starter relay click when the key is in the START position. If you hear one without the other, try swapping the relays and see if that changes the problem. If so, then its a bad relay. Good luck...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
There are many different kinds of no start issues. When you try to start the car does nothing happen? Does it turn over but not start?

If you can tell if it will start based on hearing a click or not when you turn the key, it sounds like an electrical problem. The click is most likely a relay as you thought. Pop the hood, put your ear near the fuse box and have someone try to start the car. you’ll here the fuel pump relay click when the key moves to the ON position and then you’ll here the starter relay click when the key is in the START position. If you hear one without the other, try swapping the relays and see if that changes the problem. If so, then its a bad relay. Good luck...
It cranks but doesn't start. So can the engine still crank with a bad starter relay?
I'm beginning to wonder just how long the ford garage spent on my car last thursday. Since it started for them, I bet they only tried to start it a few times during the day and then basically parked it outside and called it a day.

I told them to keep the car until monday and check it again, since the service manager witnessed what it actually does and didn't get a good spark.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

It's most likely a bad coil. When they start to go out they fail when warm. That's why it will usually start right up unless you've been running it for a while.

Buy a Motorcraft coil, no other brand, all the other ones suck.