V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

what options do we have when it comes to new seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

So I've been looking at all the venues and suggestion above and it turns out to be a bit pricey. ($1000+). I did find some cobra seats on Craigslist for $250, they look good in the pictures but dont know how they will feel.

When i looked into TMI seats, there's this other thing called 'seat foam.' that means i can change out the foam and get it really comfy like if you redid your sofa or kitchen chairs (i did do that to my chairs and they felt really brand knew)

I wonder if this is another option.

What are some thoughts of this route? (im looking for function here)
Old 10-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Dr.Le
2nd Gear Member

I think imma go w/ 05-09 seats.

I will NOT purchase the brackets but will intend to make them fit (they cost $200 for a pair)

Heres what i found for making your own brackets (safety is an issue here???)

get 6 bolts and nuts, 6 large and 6 small small washers and 2 self tapping bolts

i had a power drivers seat so unplug that, unbolt the seats and take them out. the plugs vary in size from 99-04 to 2005 but they both have the same wires with the exception of one wire on the 05 seats which i think is for the pressure sensors in the seats, you dont need to hook that up, but if you match up the colors and connect the other 4 wires your power seat will work like it is supposed to, you just have to splice the wires together.

you can use the 05 seat brackets it is much easier i think than trying to take your old brackets off of your seats.

there is a canal that runs from side to side underneath your front seats and this is what the front mounts on the seats will bolt too ( this is where the self tapping bolt comes into play) the new brackets dont mount flat to the floor like your old ones so what you do is the bracket closest to the door will mount on the front side of the canal and the inside bracket you will bend forward so that it does mount flat.

next make sure you get your seats lined up where you want them and drill your holes, make sure you get longer bolts and then hack saw off what you dont need after you get them bolted in. the self tapping bolt will go into the bolt holes on the front closest to the doors as there is no way to get a nut on it after you drill into the canal.

you may need to use some washers to shim up the sides closest to the doors for them to sit perfectly level

i think i covered everything, all in all it was a pretty easy installation and i am extremely happy with the outcome, if you have any other questions just let me know or if you need some more pics i might be able to get some tomorrow for you

Time to search for 05+seats!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:09 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Refoaming the seats will give them a refreshed feel compared to the old saggy worn out stock seats.