V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Heater Hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
oldblue28

Default Heater Hose

Need to replace my water pump, but am having trouble removing the heater hose. I know that it pulls out after removing the bolt, but mine appears to have a sealant around it that is making it difficult to remove. I'm reluctant to force it and risk damage to the line as it's the metal kind that runs the length of the manifold. Anyone run into this and have any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well I have a spare if you damage yours, what part of Missouri are you in? I am in Springfield.

Try turning it from side to side to break the scale up around the rubber O ring, it cakes up kinda bad. Use some gripped gloves to try this with, Harbor Freight has them for cheap.

Also make sure to go to AutoZone and get a new rubber O ring for it otherwise you will probably have a leak once you put it back together. Just bring the tube in when you get it out because I dont remember what the size is.

You could also get a rubber mallet and try tapping it around the base to help crack the scale buildup.

Maybe try letting WD-40 soak around the top too or another penetrating oil.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Also, Welcome to the Forums.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
oldblue28

Thanks. My hose is a metal tube that runs from the water pump, under the intake, and down the rear of the compartment. Wiggling side to side doesn't seem like an option. When I say sealant, it looks like as if you were to cover the tube with caulk before reinsertion and as it was inserted it pushes up creating a bead. I've never seen this and thinks it's the bigger cause of this pita.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
oldblue28

Original WP btw.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yup, I know the tube is metal and where it runs to.

So someone sealed it with caulk?
They should have just replaced the O ring.

Anyways... Get that caulk out of there or maybe even use a mild solvent to dissolve the caulking. You will of course HAVE to change the O ring after that.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
oldblue28

Is there an effective way of disconnecting this tube at the rear and taking the pump out with the tube still in it. Would make getting this thing out of the pump easy if I had the whole thing on a bench. Not looking to remove the manifold(at that point I'd just take it to a shop).
Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

If that's the case, the tube is most likely shot anyway, so cut it and get a new one.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The upper manifold is easy to remove and as far as I can see you will have to remove that to take the tube all the way off.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
If that's the case, the tube is most likely shot anyway, so cut it and get a new one.
+1

I would also go to the previous owner and smack him/her upside the head.

Quick Reply: Heater Hose