V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Electric Seat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Le
Here's another question....

what if someone's car has no motor seats and buys a newer seat from 05+ which has motor seats? can someone utilize the motor from the newer seats?
Try not to hijack other peoples threads.

but to answer your question, check underneath your seat for a power cable. If there is one then you might be able to use the power seats from another mustang. Good luck...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:48 AM
m12462

Originally Posted by petrock
Why take it to a shop to have them look at it? Do it yourself. Its very simple. You can pick up a volt-meter (or better yet a multi-meter) for $20 at most electronics, auto parts, and/or hardware stores. You don’t need fancy.

Anyway, you can test that it is at least getting power by setting the meter to as close to 15V without going under. Put the key in the ON position, engine off. Then touch the black meter lead to the negative battery post and the red meter lead to one of the wholes in the 2 wire connector on the wires coming out of your carpet. Then touch the red lead to the other whole in the connector. One of them should have 12 volts. If not, then the problem is between the connector & the battery. Probably a blown fuse. If the connector has power, post back up and I’ll help you walk it down. My wifey has the same ride as you and I have the electrical diagrams for it.

tip: if your meter leads are too short, you can use some scrap speaker wire, electrical cord, ethernet cable (my preference) or regular 18 gauge wire to extend the length of your leads.

tip: don’t jam the tip of the meter lead into the connector wholes. You’ll spread the contacts. Just lightly touch the metal inside the whole with the tip of the meter lead.

Good luck...
Hi Petrock, I s there any way you could either post or send me the wiring diagram you referenced in your earlier post (ccc124@***.net). I know very little about out cars and am learning as I go in this case. I bought the tester you suggested and also found the fuse box (see photos below)...there are many fuses missing and I don't know if that's normal or not. Interestingly enough, the cigarette lighter does not work and I read that the cigarette and the electric seat (my main reason for this thread) work off the same fuse, so I would like to know which fuses are responsible for which parts of the car and at this point I have no idea. Would love an easy solution for a change!

Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The cigarette power outlet is on a different circuit, and different fuses, from the power seats. The cig outlet is a 30A fuse while the power seats are on a 25A fuse. There should be a map of the fuses & relays on the inside of the fuse box cover. If not, there is one in the owners manual too. My factory service manual is a book, and I don’t have a scanner in order to send you a digital copy. However, a quick Google search also found this:

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/0lfl8...d-mustang.html

The CIG ILLUM fuse is for the cigarette lighter and PWR SEATS fuse is for the power seats. Looks like the only fuses you’re missing are for the ABS brake system. If the car doesn’t have ABS then don’t worry about it. Otherwise look into why the ABS system has been disabled.

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 11-26-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:21 PM
m12462

Originally Posted by petrock
Why take it to a shop to have them look at it? Do it yourself. Its very simple. You can pick up a volt-meter (or better yet a multi-meter) for $20 at most electronics, auto parts, and/or hardware stores. You don’t need fancy.

Anyway, you can test that it is at least getting power by setting the meter to as close to 15V without going under. Put the key in the ON position, engine off. Then touch the black meter lead to the negative battery post and the red meter lead to one of the wholes in the 2 wire connector on the wires coming out of your carpet. Then touch the red lead to the other whole in the connector. One of them should have 12 volts. If not, then the problem is between the connector & the battery. Probably a blown fuse. If the connector has power, post back up and I’ll help you walk it down. My wifey has the same ride as you and I have the electrical diagrams for it.

tip: if your meter leads are too short, you can use some scrap speaker wire, electrical cord, ethernet cable (my preference) or regular 18 gauge wire to extend the length of your leads.

tip: don’t jam the tip of the meter lead into the connector wholes. You’ll spread the contacts. Just lightly touch the metal inside the whole with the tip of the meter lead.

Good luck...
Petrock, you were exactly right, the problem turned out to be a blown fuse. Thanks so much for your great advice (and all the others who commented as well). I couldn't done with you guys!