V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Bottoming out with Duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Default Bottoming out with Duals

Ok, I've been picking everyones brain regarding dual exhaust setups. But now I have a major concern. Just the other day I've noticed that since I bought my Mustang back in December, I've been bottoming out on the alley leading down from my house. And now my stock muffler and tail pipe seem loose. It bangs against the bumper. And when I hit a bump, the muffler bangs against the bumper. I know the tail pipe and muffler need readjusted, and was going to have the mechanic give me an estimate on a custom AP Exhaust system.

But my question is this, If I'm bottoming out the stock exhaust, would the aftermarket exhaust get damaged by bottoming out? I only ask being that I'm used to driving an SUV and never have to worry about bottoming out at all. I guess I'm just worried about spending all the money to get the exhaust done and screw it up just by going to work every day.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:56 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

If you are bottoming out a stock car, then you need to change your driving habits, a mustang is a lot closer to the ground then an suv. Need to take curbs and dips at an angle.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Need to take curbs and dips at an angle.
If you don't do this, you should.

He said the exhaust is stock, not the car. Maybe its slammed and still has the stock exhaust? I can't imagine anyone doing this but never know what the previous owner did.

As far as damaging the new exhaust, sure, it could be damaged. It sounds like you're hitting pretty hard, not just scraping lightly. Have a look at your current exhaust, is it damaged badly, or just loose? Are you willing to turn a wrench every now and again to keep it tightened up?

As much of a hassle as it is, are there any alternative parking areas? I live in Florida where there are no hills, or snow. I can only imagine how awful it would be to trek through the snow to your car.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Actually, I THINK I may have found the problem. I reached down under the car this afternoon to try and get a good look at the exhaust. It seems to not be as low a car as I previously thought. But I looked and didn't seem to find anything really out of order. Except for a rubber grommet next to the wheel well. It seems like its cracking and loose. Theres a lot of play in the tailpipe from there back.

Maybe I'm not bottoming out as much as I thought I did. Where can I get a replacement grommet, and how hard is it to replace?

Heres the grommet I found.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I dont have damage like that but I drag on EVERYTHING. I have to go out of my way to get around speed bumps and such or fast food exits. Sometimes though they cant be avoided and I get a good drag out of it. Hate that. But long tubes on a V6 hang down and tend to be very low lol. but they sound so good. Besides if I drag a hole in them they'll sound even better haha.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Thats not the stock exhaust anyway. That could be one problem, it wasnt installed properly to begin with.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

rubber grommet next to the wheel well. It seems like its cracking and loose
You can get these at any auto parts store, they take about 5-10 minutes to replace(each).
They will help keep the exhaust system from hanging down as much, and they will keep it from bouncy up a little. Looking at the damage to the bumper looks like it gets pushed up a lot. Unless your car is lowered, I go along with changing your driving habits.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Its not?!? Well I do remember the muffler not having much of any rust on it. Sounds like I need to get the exhaust done regardless now.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Matthew954
1st Gear Member

Well, I got back from the mechanic yesterday. I had them look at giving me an estimate for a custom made Exhaust system, and PNYXPRESS is right. The current exhaust IS modified. With only having a floor jack to use at the time, the mechanic noticed a flange mounted between the Y pipe and the muffler. I have to go back again tomorrow so they can actually put the car on a lift and size up some mufflers and pipe. Plus they are checking with their supplier for some pre made setups as well. They mentioned a company MGP I think was the name. Apparently a local company that offers mandrel bent pipe.

Actually I don't think the car is lowered. I think between the grommet and I don't think I've been taking curbs with enough of an angle is doing it. I have been drooling over GT bumpers so I may just replace it down the line. Thankfully unless you look at that part of the bumper, its fairly hard to notice.

Last edited by Matthew954; 04-07-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Addition to post
Old 04-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

You can just dremel your own cutout.