V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2002 FORD MUSTANG V6 CONVERTIBLE GETTING ONLY 9 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 PM
roberto8909

Originally Posted by TRamsdell
well it could if he added some super awesome synthetic marvel mystery oil!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously, if your oil was dragging your mpg down enough to notice, you would be experiencing a catastrophic failure.
Well as of now it seems to be saving me a little more gas. I don't know what caused it, I also had the tires air pressure evened out this week, which I know helps and as soon as I replace the bad tire it has that should also help.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:17 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by movielover40
You should be in low 20's at least with that car.
My 3.8 was lucky to crack 20, in fact my 99 GT was better on fuel then my v6 was
Old 12-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Usmcinoregon

Actually I was having same issue maybe 10 or 11 I did an oil change but also took out mass airflow sensor and sprayed the hell out of it with some of that CRC let it dry then put back in and it cleared right up now getting much better
Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM
daves2001

Default V-6 Mileage

Hello forum members,
FYI, my daily driven 2001 V-6 (185k miles) gives me about 24 m.p.g. This is a mix of county roads to work and city driving.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:40 AM
12ozMouse

Default Same issue

I purchased my 01 vert in November of 16. It's was riddled with small problems and I was able to get it for a steal. The previous owner stated that the fuel gauge never made it to empty in the 2 years he'd owned it, when the tank shows 1/4 left was when it was out of gas. When test driving there was a strong odor of gasoline and exhaust. Ok so now I've replaced the entire exhaust from the manifold back, also replaced the fuel tank filler tube (the cause of the gas smell) and the car runs great, except it still runs out of gas at the 1/4 mark and all the while I've been getting 9 to 10 mpg. I just refilled for the 1st time today since replacing the leaking manifold but I'm not expecting a 10 mpg jump from doing so. Only 1 code showing up p0453 so I'm assuming this little bugger is my problem: Evaporative Emmisions Pressure switch...haven't confirmed what exactly is wrong yet, but I'm working furiously on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 AM
12ozMouse

Default Update

Ok so this for Roberto or anyone else with the same issue. I have been experiencing the exact issues. My tank is only good for about 110 miles before I'm out of gas...that translates into about 9 mpg 😢. There had been no doubt that I had an exhaust leak, the smell and sound told me as much when I test drove the problematic old red lady. I replaced my old exhaust with a true dual x pipe conversion at the beginning of December. The old exhaust pipes literally crumbled away in my hands when I went to remove it...leak found, right 😝? Unfortunately i discovered a leak in my drivers side exhaust manifold at the same time. All the while I'm throwing code pO173, I think? Bank 2 running lean. Last week I replaced the leaking manifold and now have a 100% air tight exhaust system. Code p0173 gone...code p0453 still showing...I filled up my tank yesterday, and today I drove 75 miles, my gas gauge now reads just over 3/4 full...that's in line with what we should be getting...I'll take the old gal out for a 100 mile run today and see what happens. I am by no means a mechanic(I'm a bartender) so take my 2 cents for what they're worth (probably less than 1 cent). I believe that since our o2 sensor is so near the exhaust manifold that it was reading far to much air in the engine and sending that sentiment to the egr. The egr in turn was attempting to compensate for the extra air by increasing the fuel volume sent....this seemed to cause the leak and the fuel to compete with each other and no matter how much fuel my car threw at the engine it was never enough to balance the air mixture because of the leak. As I said this my theory since none of the 3 mechanics I took it to were able to diagnose the problem. I may run to Atlanta and back today if I feel froggy...that's around a 350 mile run...I'll definetky be able to tell you what I'm getting out of a tank.