Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My VMP intake and tune is sputtering and even stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

shouldnt have switched to VMP. I'm in a similar problem and went with VMP for my xcharger and have had problem for months. Purchase the Bama tune and it works great and he remote tuned it in a few weeks. VMP still working on it?

Originally Posted by rettgoings
I had a bama c&l intake. had to sell it and the tuner. got the money again and went the vmp route...
Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Isnt the VMP an off the shelf system...as in the air filter and MAF sensor...or is it a custom system that really only they know?

The reason I ask is that I have never heard of anyone jumping from a Bama tune...maybe switching to another type, but always going back to him for more.
honestly, i think a bama tune specified for the steeda intake MAY work with the VMP intake since they are similar setups and both use 3.0" MAF housings. don't hold me on this, just an assumption. a C&L tune obviously wouldn't work since it uses a 3.25" MAF housing and an entirely new inlet pipe.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:54 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

waiting on a response from justin. i have been trying the 93 perf milage and 87 milage. They all seem to start in the 900-1100 rpms. They seem to drop sometimes to around 500 then either stall out, or if it works it gets to around 1100 rpms.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

good luck dude. don't feel its a VMP thing. as long as i've been on the forums, i've seen a handful of tune issues from ALL the mail-order tune vendors. how the vendor resolves the issue is what determines a good/bad shop.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm....very interesting. I was read your title name and was like I have exact same issue, and was actually coming on here to post about it. Same thing with my 93 perf tune...

Guess I will be giving Justen a call.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

started my car with a 93 Perf, went to 1.1k rpm, droped to 500 rpm, then stalled out. I am still waiting to hear from Justin. Anyone know VMPs return policy on intakes and tunes. I think I should have spent the extra 100 dollars for a bama.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Multiple people (three in this thread) having the identical issue? Sounds like VMP has something royally scrwed up in their tune maps.

I would unload that sucker ASAP and put the stock tune back on.

I think under the circumstances...I would return the whole package and go with Bama...you know they perfrom well. If he thinks you are just being "hyper sensitive" email him this thread link and let him know that three folks are having the same issue with his tune. Also, very politely remind him that almost 200 people have now read this thread.

That is certainly not boding well for VMP.

The immediate call backs from Doug at Bama is the number one reason I chose him. I emailed him my new rear end change and he sent an updated tune (free of course) in like 20-30 minutes. Where else are you going to find service like that?

Hopefully you get this sorted out...but get that tune unloaded. If it has a mapping error, you dont want it live for sure.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

i will take a look

Justin Starkey
VMP Tuning Inc
Owner/Tuner
Ford and GM Custom Tuning
Mobile DynoJet 224xLC
www.VMPTuning.com
To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply.

Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:42 PM
To: 'Justin Starkey'
Subject: RE: Engine Tune Sputtering
Justin
Started my car with a 93 Perf, went to 1.1k rpm, dropped to 500 rpm, then stalled out. Is it cause of my dual exhaust? Maybey?
Rett

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:39 AM
To: 'Rett Goings'
Subject: RE: Engine Tune Sputtering

hi, what happens with the other tunes?

Justin Starkey
VMP Tuning Inc
Owner/Tuner
Ford and GM Custom Tuning
Mobile DynoJet 224xLC
www.VMPTuning.com
To ensure prompt service please quote the previous email in your reply.

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:21 AM
To: Justin@VMPTuning.com
Subject: Engine Tune Sputtering
Justin,
I recently received a 93 perf/93 milage/ 87 milage and a VMP intake. I have been using the 93 perf tune however when I start my car it seems to sputter sometimes around 900rpm and sometimes even shuts off upon startup. I was wondering if you had the solutions, its only been about 2 weeks that I have had it and I have 11k miles on my car.
Thanks
Rett Goings

Last edited by rettgoings; 02-13-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 AM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

"i will take a look"?

Last edited by rettgoings; 02-13-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

give dude a chance. three recent issues so far but do you realize that there are already many VMP tunes out there running strong? he's been tuning this 4.0 since back in 05. wait for the resolution and then make your judgments on this particular tuner shop. i dont even have VMP tunes but i know Justin has been a very helpful and informative dude on these forums and he has LOTS of satisfied customers excluding these 3 issues.

Quick Reply: My VMP intake and tune is sputtering and even stalling.