Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car sputtering (Hope i'm not stupid...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:57 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Default Car sputtering (Hope i'm not stupid...)

Alright, I've been having this issue since I bought the car in January and I haven't asked anyone about it because I've been able to deal with it for the most part but I figure I might as well play it safe and see whats going on to see if anything needs fixing. My car's a manual transmission and sometimes it will sort of hesitate and stutter sometimes when I'm at low speeds. When it does it, it feels like it's trembling as the rpm's go up and the exhaust tone starts to sort of flap in rhythm with the hesitations. Sometimes this happens when I'm simply in a gear a little to high for what I'm doing, and down shifting solves the problem instantly. Unfortunately, sometimes I get this when I'm taking off in 1st so all I can do is ease off the throttle and sort of start over again (pushing the thottle harder makes it worse). I've been paying a lot of attention to it and I can prevent it if I launch with a couple of short presses of the throttle as opposed to one long, fluid press OR if I put in much more gas than is necessary relative to my clutch position. I never had this problem on my 06 (also manual) and was able to always drive that normally.
I bought this car pre-owned with 30k miles and no mods, but I have since put on the CAI and duals, but the problem has existed since before those mods.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Maybe this could be something simple as a dirty fuel filter. Has it ever been changed ?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Yeah it was changed at my last oil change, although I am changing it again myself in couple days. I'm going to be buying a few quarts of amsoil as well as an amsoil filter from a friend of mine who is a vender, so we'll see what happens after that.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Well got it fixed today, and it was so easy it was almost frustrating. Apparently, when the car was built (or maybe if the previous owner did work on the cats) one of the hooks on the pipe behind the converters wasn't installed correctly on the hangar. Instead of fitting through the rubber hole, it was sitting on top of the rubber, so when i would drive at low speeds the car would vibrate the piping and it would shake worse than normal, affecting the whole drive train. Now the car not only runs better, but even feels and rumbles a little cleaner.