Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my car Dyno Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

What does it cost to fly a Mustang cross country?

I can see where Chris would get offended though by some of the obvious um...creativity involved by the shop.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Chris - the only reason I got the car dyno tuned was because I was experiencing problems with your guy's tune's. Every time I started the car, the idle in my car would be sporadic, bouncing all over the place. I have even got 3 different tunes to try and correct this problem, but all were the same. I even datalogged with my xcal3 to see if I was crazy but the RPM's were bouncing at around 75-200RPM. The new tune I got from the shop got rid of all my idling issues which is the main reason I got the tune.

They dyno'ed your guy's 91 street tune and it made it made I think 162 RWHP.. which is less than stock HP (assuming with the 20% drivetrain loss) I will post the rest of the dyno sheets when I get home. They didn't want to push the car in those A/F ratios, but I gave them the okay and if it got any higher than it was to shut it down. They did the pull in 3rd, 5th, and also with O/D off.

The sniffer did fall out on that test, but there was 4 other tests where it was in place. I know sniffer's aren't completely accurate, but even if it was 14:1 ratio, isn't that still too lean? A buddy of mine told me to get my car tuned because with his 07 GT his car was running 14:1 on the dyno (not with sniffer, but with the proper location where the front 02 sensor is, and a in a completely different shop where I got mine tuned)

I'm not trying to bash on your guy's tune... I had a bama tune back since 2008 and always ran with his tune and loved every WOT with it!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

well theres only 1 way to resolve this:
TAKE IT TO AMERICAN MUSCLE
TUNING SHOP SMACKDOWN SON!
NEXT SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!!
sorry im bored
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
well theres only 1 way to resolve this:
TAKE IT TO AMERICAN MUSCLE
TUNING SHOP SMACKDOWN SON!
NEXT SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!!
sorry im bored
It was 3am in DE when you said this... H ave you thought about sleeping ?

Oh and if I complain about my dyno numbers can someone fly me out?

Last edited by JCON; 01-30-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
Chris - the only reason I got the car dyno tuned was because I was experiencing problems with your guy's tune's. Every time I started the car, the idle in my car would be sporadic, bouncing all over the place. I have even got 3 different tunes to try and correct this problem, but all were the same. I even datalogged with my xcal3 to see if I was crazy but the RPM's were bouncing at around 75-200RPM. The new tune I got from the shop got rid of all my idling issues which is the main reason I got the tune.

They dyno'ed your guy's 91 street tune and it made it made I think 162 RWHP.. which is less than stock HP (assuming with the 20% drivetrain loss) I will post the rest of the dyno sheets when I get home. They didn't want to push the car in those A/F ratios, but I gave them the okay and if it got any higher than it was to shut it down. They did the pull in 3rd, 5th, and also with O/D off.

The sniffer did fall out on that test, but there was 4 other tests where it was in place. I know sniffer's aren't completely accurate, but even if it was 14:1 ratio, isn't that still too lean? A buddy of mine told me to get my car tuned because with his 07 GT his car was running 14:1 on the dyno (not with sniffer, but with the proper location where the front 02 sensor is, and a in a completely different shop where I got mine tuned)

I'm not trying to bash on your guy's tune... I had a bama tune back since 2008 and always ran with his tune and loved every WOT with it!
Oh I wasn't offended by your post. I just know how dyno shops operate. I ran one for 6 years. Dyno shops will do very creative things in order to convince you that your money was well spent having them calibrate your car.

If you had idle fluctuation issues and the car was that lean, it wouldn't have made the horsepower/torque that it did. If you had idle fluctuation issues and the car was SLIGHTLY lean, I would say Bama might have wrote the tune for the wrong intake, or something was missing out of the tune submission form. Maybe it was in the form and they left it out of the tune file? I think there's two things happening... The creativity of the dyno shop to manipulate their numbers to look alot better (uncorrected), and pulling it in different gears and not using a dyno/converter lock file from us to be fair. The second problem is it sounds like an error in the Bama file, to begin with (I'm guessing wrong CAI, or missing a mod either from the tune submission form or in human error when building it).

I will look into the tune tomorrow (PM me over first/last name) and make sure that they're correct for the mods submitted on the form. If it is (which it sounds like it's not based on the idle), I urge you to get a pull done (with a dyno lock file that I'll provide you) at a local shop (we'll pay for it). If it's not correct, we'll correct the file and send it to you. Even if it's in the file, I'll still pay to have pulls done at a different local dynojet, and provide you with a dyno lock file.

Let me know if you're interested! I just want to make the tune right for you, and the results fair for us.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
It was 3am in DE when you said this... H ave you thought about sleeping ?

Oh and if I complain about my dyno numbers can someone fly me out?
haha it was only 2 in louisiana. and i may or may not have just returned from a night out lol
Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

PM'ed chris!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
EVILHORSE

Cool

any updates ???????
Old 02-01-2011, 11:30 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I personally looked through your files. There's absolutely no way that the results the shop gave you are correct. I'm thinking he did a 3/4 throttle pull and tried to keep the car from going into open loop. This way, the car looks like it's lean.

Here's what I would do... take the car to a different Dynojet shop and have them dyno it. Dyno it with the 91 Race tune, and have them put the wideband sensor in one of the rear o2 sensor bungs (because the rear o2s are off on the race tune). Have them run it with overdrive off, and even if it's 3rd or 4th gear, that's fine. We're just going to prove that the air/fuel ratio isn't what the other shop said it was.

If you want, I can also send you over a "dyno lock" copy of the tune so that it will run it in 4th without the dyno operator having to do anything differently. This way the numbers are correct. You can either view these results in "Uncorrected" to see how it compares to your dyno tune, because they were "Uncorrected", or you can also run the dyno tune again on a different dyno and have them both SAE corrected.

Email me your invoice from the shop and we'll pay for it, as long as you post your graphs here on the forums and you make sure that you load our tunes in properly. (We can do that via remote access of your computer if you want).

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 02-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Wow man, you really are willing to do ANYTHING to show people that your tunes are good!

Quick Reply: Got my car Dyno Tuned!