Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

If you were to change JUST the muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 AM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

keep your cats! and get electronic exhaust cutouts, but really it will sound like crap, duals should flow well enough at the track and will be cheaper than getting electronic exhaust cutouts.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the exhausts would be cool but that's mod money i could put somewhere better. I think I've figured everything out. thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by conor1148
what would you get?

I'm looking to pick up just a muffler to replace the one on my 07. I would get duals but I really don't want it to be that loud. The ideal muffler would be about as loud as stock driving normally but would make a little more noise if I gave it a lot of gas. also it would help if I wouldn't need to go to an exhaust shop to get it positioned right..

Is there anything out there like that?
Get a GT manual tranny passengers side take-off muffler.
They WERE under $5 + S/H on the eBayer years ago.
I got one and have never looked back.

Make sure its off a manual tranny GT as the AUTO
muffs have a different sound to them.

I have a Hooker AeroMuffler on the 09 Challenger
and those also have a very distinct sound to them.

CherryBomb has come out with a new muffler as well.
Flowmasters and Magnaflows are for race vehicles and trucks.
Attached Thumbnails If you were to change JUST the muffler-gtmufflermt.jpg   If you were to change JUST the muffler-gtmufflerauto.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

The foibles of Mustang ownership... there are SO many choices it can be tough. Myself, as well as many other V6 owners opted for the GT Takeoff. Yeah, I started out by procuring the mufflers... and simply bolting one on in place of the stock. NICE! Oh... and yes, as stated, off a MANUAL TRANS GT for sure. Meanwhile.... as time, finances and availablilty allowed for, I did finally get all the parts required and upgraded to a full X-pipe dual system that's GT takeoff from the X-pipe (Pypes produces that) back.

I very much like it. The plus side is... now that I have a GT exhaust, I can avail myself of any and all aftermarket mufflers available for a GT.

Not that I've done so.... I really like what I have and it aint broke (does not need fixing), sounds GREAT... and is well... PAID FOR.

And no... it's not overly loud unless you push it...... and that's only when it's flashed for 93 Octane that it gets growly.

P.S.: @157db: 12,000+ posts! That's awesome. I did the math... and based on maybe that you joined in 2007 (if that's when you bought your 07 'Stang) that averages out to almost 8 posts per day... EVERY DAY for the last five years. "Impressive!" - Lord Darth Vader :-D

Good luck!

Last edited by Boneman; 07-29-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Addes post scriptum
Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

only $5 for it?! the best I could find is $100 on ebay. I'd rather have something new for that money.

So going to a new muffler option.. any suggestions? I cant find the right google keywords to find something more like I'm looking for.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Just slap a GT takeoff muffler on. You'll get a little better sound and a little more power. Nothing needs to be welded or changed, simply bolts right in.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 AM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

You could try checking a local junkyard or craigslist for a mustang gt being parted out or gt takeoffs for sale. I've seen GT takeoff's in the 50 to 75 range multiple times.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Alright, I'm going to check locally. i seem to have zero luck with that though, what can I do? I check craigslist all the time and can never find anything.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:22 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Yeah.... keep looking I would think. What with the "update" to the current body style, I would imagine "takeoff" stuff for our version is becoming sparse... but then, yeah, like the man said, junkyard may also be an option.

Perserverance may be the word of the day here. Happy "hunting"!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

A gt takeoff would sound the best for what you are looking for. You may have to shell out a little more money than you think though.

Quick Reply: If you were to change JUST the muffler