Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP ASAP .. Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP ASAP .. Fuel Problem

ok so let me start with the back story. my cousin came down with her 06 v6 auto she drove about 90 miles and according to her it was problem free. she stopped to get a drink at a gas station (not gas) and it died on her. she towed it to my house where i immedietly plugged up the obdII reader and got a p0320code relating to the ckp or camshaft placement sensor intermittent. i checked that sensor un plugged it then plugged it back in and tried to start it without any success. i then checked all the wires i could see including sparkplug wires and every sensor i could find. after hours of looking i noticed that the greyish silver thing where you put the gas nozzle in the fuel neck, esd not there. i then started to check the fuel system by spraying a tiny amount of starter fluid inside the air inlet tube and it started.. roughly and briefly but it started. i assumed by the missing check valve that the fuel tank probably had dirt in it so i went out and got a filter, replaced the filter and the gas that came out the dirty side was almost oil black and mostly dirt. after changing the filter i started up and it purred just fine i even went on a 3 block loop test drive where it died on the way back.

so now the question is:
could it be fuel injectors from some of that dirtyt gas seeping through?
could whatever dirt was at the bottom of the tank get sucked into the pump?
how can i test the pump?
how can i test the injectors?
how does the p0320 relate to the fuel?

also fyi i replaced the battery just incase, filled the tank up with what i know was good gas, and after the test drive and replacing the batter the p0320 code is not there or any other cel.

if there is anyother fuel area or any idea you may have im all ears.. well eyes but whatever i need help.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

I would take the filter out again to see if it has already gotten clogged. If it is then you might need to drain the tank. You can "rent" fuel pressure testing tools at autozone for free. I have done it a few times.

Also a Crankshaft Position sensor is pretty cheap. It wouldn't hurt replacing that as well

Last edited by MoneyShot; 07-26-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

I didn't even think about auto zone renting tools. That's why I come here.
I'm sure I'll have to.drop the.tank I've never seen fuel that black and gritty before
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it was simply fuel starvation due to a clogged fuel filter, I'd try running a tank of SeaFoam, then replace the filter again to see if it's cruded up again before I'd begin dropping the tank. You may have alrready solved the problem and only have a little "cleanup" to do with another filter change.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Before you drop the tank, there is an access panel on TOP of the tank... that you can get to underneath the back seat. This is to allow for fuel pump replacement without having to drop the tank. I would do that ... at least get an eyeball on the pump, the tank, etc. and you may even be able to clean it out sufficiently via that avenue.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Just to close out this thread I ended up taking it in to my friends mechanic shop who then informed me of a second fuel filter inside the tank its self we dropped the tank, and found about an inch worth of dirt then replaced the sock as he called it, and he flushed the fuel system checked the injectors after new filters dirt removedand the flush the stang started up and is still running just fine. we concluded that some lowlife decided to put dirt in her tank with a funnel, nedless to say after many many hours of work we got it fixed and to make ure you have the silver flapper thing inside your tank when you put gas in otherwise you could have a fun trip and many hours of labor ahead of you
Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

wow. the nerve of some people.
Right after I got my car, there were a bunch of inbred rednecks at my school who thought it'd be funny to try to stick peeled bananas in people's gas tanks if they had a nice car. That's why I always have locking gas caps on all of my vehicles.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
Just to close out this thread I ended up taking it in to my friends mechanic shop who then informed me of a second fuel filter inside the tank its self we dropped the tank, and found about an inch worth of dirt then replaced the sock as he called it, and he flushed the fuel system checked the injectors after new filters dirt removedand the flush the stang started up and is still running just fine. we concluded that some lowlife decided to put dirt in her tank with a funnel, nedless to say after many many hours of work we got it fixed and to make ure you have the silver flapper thing inside your tank when you put gas in otherwise you could have a fun trip and many hours of labor ahead of you
I don't buy your conclusion. :P
I recommend replacing the fuel pump if he didn't and there's a reason why.
That dirt you found isn't from anyone but a cheap gas station.
Tell her not to pump gas while a gas truck is loading because all is doing is mixing the new gas with dirt that's at the bottom of that gas station tank.
How do I come up with this conclusion?
Something to think about while you're at a pump
Next time check the fuel pressure and duty cycle and it'll save you time to diagnose this issue.