Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Duals on 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Arkansas V6

Default Duals on 4.0

Been considering getting duals from the cats to the tips no h-pipe or x pipes or anything and was just wondering if anyone had done it and whether it would be a good idea or not, not expecting alot as far as performance goes as my car is NA and is a v6 so not a big need for a free flowing exhaust but was more wondering about the sound and any negatives...

Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

Originally I was just thinking of getting duals, I had no clue about any other part of the exhaust. I was actually gonna just go for the MAC duals http://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-du...st-0509v6.html which is a completely plug 'n play with no cutting(except for bumper) as it bolts right up to the stock Y pipe.

I was talking to a guy who had the MAC dual and he said there was a nice sounding drone for the first few thousand miles but that after they broke in it was just a nice rumble with no drone. He had them for like 5 years or something so I think it's a good choice if you're not wanting to redo your exhaust from head to toe.

Personally I'm getting LT headers, catted shorty H pipe, and an american thunder catback.

Hope I helped a little.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I believe there are some guys on here that have done it. Me.....I got the x pipe, mid pipe and 2 GT mufflers for now. Later, I plan on getting Corsas or Bassni mufflers.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arkansas V6
Been considering getting duals from the cats to the tips no h-pipe or x pipes or anything and was just wondering if anyone had done it and whether it would be a good idea or not, not expecting alot as far as performance goes as my car is NA and is a v6 so not a big need for a free flowing exhaust but was more wondering about the sound and any negatives...

Thanks

Arkansas V6,

Seems like the MAC Dual Exhaust Conversion kit is exactly what you're looking for. It's perfect for anyone who just wanted to bolt-on a dual muffler system and not having to bend or weld piping.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Shane
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Arkansas V6

Thanks for the responses but i am looking at elimintaing any restriction. Im tallking about where each header after the cat has its own pipe goin to its own tip out the back. Which makes two pipes individual of eachother that in no way connect to each other

Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Ant-Man
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arkansas V6
Thanks for the responses but i am looking at elimintaing any restriction. Im tallking about where each header after the cat has its own pipe goin to its own tip out the back. Which makes two pipes individual of eachother that in no way connect to each other

Thanks
I'm not sure about anyone else but in my short time looking at exhaust systems I've never come across a pipe system where the headers never cross one another, they always cross each other to keep a steady breathing machine.

I'll keep an eye out though.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Our cars have a pretty breathable exhaust stock but duals will SLIGHTLY increase performance. As for ghe no back pressure ideA. Remember all cars need some back pressure or you will have some unpleasant problems
Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM
ffstorke54

I had true dual with flowmaster super 40's and it sounded poor and had alot of back fireing when decelerateing and i didnt see much performance increase, then i made up a h pipe for it and it sounds better and the back pressure is more equal and made more power with less backfire. Note my cats were intact for these findings the back pressure from tru dual i found to be a issue if you run a x or h pipe it will be alot better. Im a mechanic for a living and did tests useing the ford ids and a emissions sniffer
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

When I did mine, I used a pypes off-road h-pipe that I got for cheap, cut about 3-4" back from the cat's(I pulled the cats and had the opening expanded out to 2.5"). Cut the h-pipe to the correct length and bolted it up. From there it's pretty explanatory.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 AM
rjones2330
1st Gear Member

Default needing a new clutch spec stage one or spec stage 3

there about the same price so idk witch i should go with you would think the stage 3 is better but i would like to here some insight like asap