Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tire Blowout on 2006 Convertible w / pony package

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
rob_ricketts

Default Tire Blowout on 2006 Convertible w / pony package

I am hoping to get some advice from those on this board who are almost certainly more knowledgeable than me about tire purchasing.

Bought my GF a 2006 mustang conv w / pony package a while back. Last week at 45,000 miles in she semi-blows a back rear tire after going flat on a screw. Incidentally, I have never had a car with so many flat tires. Have had the front 2 patched a total of 5 times with nails, etc.

I have always driven cheap non-performance cars with cheap, non performance tires. (Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, etc). I am guessing the softness of the mustang tires grabs the road and more nails and screws, etc? Or maybe this is just a run of bad luck.

All the tires have + 5/32 of an inch of tread left.

So I have 2 questions I would love guidance on:

1) My bias is to simply replace the back 2 tires, with the OEMs available on tire rack: Pirelli PZero Nero M&S PINNA (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Size: 235/55ZR17 Obviously, certain sources (such as a tire shop I went to) made me think this was crazy, and would be terrible for my car. Then again, this same shop told me that the tires were worn to the wear bars and I would clearly needing 4 new ones, which is complete crap there is plenty of tread left. If I do need to by 4 new tires for a legitimate reason (which I cannot think of) that is fine, but there is a reasonable amount of tread left so I am looking for second opinions.

2) If I were NOT to purchase the OEMs from tire rack, but a less performance driven cheaper tire like the "Continental ContiProContact" would this simply make me an idiot? We don't race the car, drive in snow, and although there is a rainy season here in NCAL I don't have fancy tires on my Ford Focus and I don't feel that it is unsafe. I also wonder if touring tires like these (with what I believe is harder rubbber) would last longer, get fewer flats, etc. I obviously understand handling and performance would not be as good as the OEMs.

Of course, if anyone has any other comments and perspectives outside of the issues I am outlining above they are welcome.
Thanks in advance,
-Rob
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Welcome to MF's

Several things going on here.

One, is you must live in an area with lots of construction or something as the softness of your street tires is only going to play a small role in reducing punctures. Your current stock tires are very hard, based on an extremely-high performance tire such as what I run and have had VERY few punctures. Maybe if you had some extremely hard 4X4 mud & snow tires and VERY deep tread, you would see much less.

Second, find a new wheel shoppe and ask the question again. You will get higher mileage out of a harder compound tire (stay 400 treadwear or higher, IMO) The manufacturer will give you general ideas of mileage you can expect from a given tire. You will also go less traction performance as you go UP in treadwear numbers as the tire is harder and won't hold the road as well. These are all GENERAL statments based on treadwear numbers and will vary to a degree with tread pattern and manufacturer.

Third, you need to explain what your driving needs are to the tire shoppe. This and ONLY this should determine what tires you need. Your budget is then applied to narrow your search. Your handling and performance is certainly NOT at the peak running OEM's, unless you are driving the top-of-the line Ferrari 599GTB or something. Even then, diffent tires will perform better than others based on other factors.

Lots of general info here, so read and let me know what you think.

Jazzer
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

"shoppe" darn Canadians, lol. I have nothing to add.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Nope, I'm not Canadienne. In fact, I don't even know how to play hockey or what the fuss is all aboot

Jazzeé
Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
rob_ricketts

Thanks to all for the feedback --- I will try another tire shop and walk through the issues mentioned.

I also appreciate knowing that the nails in tire thing is likely bad luck and not necessarily the tires. Either that or my lady has another man on the side, most likely a construction worker ..... LOL
-rob