Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

driving lights instead of fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:31 AM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: driving lights instead of fog lights

Actually it was discussed earlier that replacing the fog lights with a steeda fog lights would shave 1/2 sec. off of your 1/4 mile.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 AM
CrimeScene
2nd Gear Member

Well shoot if I just make a fake steeda by adding the body kit and guages I should shave what 2 sec's off the 1/4.I have heard by adding the seat covers you get 3 more HP though.

CrimeScene
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Slink
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your help. I will check those out.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrimeScene

Well shoot if I just make a fake steeda by adding the body kit and guages I should shave what 2 sec's off the 1/4.I have heard by adding the seat covers you get 3 more HP though.

CrimeScene
ha ha ha....that actaully made me chuckle out loud!!!

Back tot topic, if you are looking for a smaller set of fogs due to the lack of fog in your area there, then maybe check out the Roush front bumper (they have a set of fogs in the front lower by the turn signal) and then you could get a different grill so the bigger fogs aren't there anymore. But to me, that's a lot of money to spend just to get rid of the fogs that make the car look pretty cool IMO.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33441/5A6FB6C7CCC8440BABA0B0CAABE4A111.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 AM
CamaroCrazy

[sm=smiley20.gif]I'm with you on this one. I also want to find driving light replacements for the stock fog lights. Did you every have any luck finding a set? Unfortunately, all you received was a bunch of mis-information on driving lights vs fog lights.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

What about centering the fog lights GT 350 (original) style? Have I seen a kit that replaces the stock grill and moves the fogs to the center?

Waaaaay back when I was just a pup (and 4V stood for 4 barrel, not valves) I put a set of driving lights in the grill of my 64 1/2 coupe. They were affectionately called "aircraft landing lights" and were assembled using a (cheap) 4 inch tractor utility light and a high intensity bulb/reflector assembly. I could easily see a 1/4 mile down the road, wired them to the high beams, and burned holes in what little fog we had (and a few critters and roadside crops!) Wish I could find those again, but they've probably been outlawed forever!

What I have done on my Sebring and a couple of other fog-equipped cars was to install a relay that switched the "fogs" on with the high beams. Especially helpful on rural 2 lanes in West KY.....lots of deer, and other potential road kill........
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

There was one guy on here who took aircraft landing lights and swapped them for the fogs.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 AM
CamaroCrazy

Ok... I found the onlyMFG with a direct Driving Light replacement kit for the 2005+ Mustang GT OEM grill fog lamps.
Driving light meaning a long range narrow light beam as opposed to a very short distance super wide beam Fog Light.

MFG - PIAA/ Part- #4064 Mustang GT clear driving light kit -Retail Price $199.00
Included are reflector housings andglass lenses. These fit in place of your OEM fog lights. Also included are,55wattH3 Halogen bulbs, mounting harware, relays, wiring, and switch.
It will be interesting to see if these can be wired into theheadlight high beams via the relays or if you'll have to use the providedswitch to turn them on.

As of 20 Aug 07, the best deal I was able to find was $158.00 with FREE shipping and Handling.
http://www.autotoyaz.com/piheasfomugt.html

I'll post when they are installed.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 AM
CamaroCrazy

Yes Grasshopper, PIAA does have a mounting kit (part no. 30340) to mount the 520 model lights into the stock holes in the grill. You can find it on the web for about $41.00. The catch is here is that the PIAA 520 series lights are much more expensive than the 40 seriesand they do not offer a complete kit for the change over. You have to piece the kit together yourself so it ends up costing you a bunch more cash compared to the Part No. 4064 kit!!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

FYI, the reflector in the stock fog light is designed for a short, wide throw. From your original post it appears you're aware of this. I just wanted to be sure others understand that conversion to a driving light is NOT just bulb replacement.

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]

Quick Reply: driving lights instead of fog lights