Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:43 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Yea when I had my original bumpers done and vinyled

my shop told me the next 05' mustang that comes in will definitely be charged more than what he had charged me

ORIGINAL: GIDDEUP

Sorry to hear it went so bad, but you deffinitely get what you pay for in the stripe dept. I had a local place do it for $300, but it was the first time they had done them, so he had nothing to base cost on. Took them about 8hrs, but they came out perfect. He told me he would deffinitely be charging more than $300 if he had to do them on another car LOL.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: MaddieMustang

Thanks Derf, I hope so too...

I really don't mind paying up to $350 or even $400 for the entire car, but literally no places in this area will do them because of the bumpers, which completely makes the look imo. I can't afford $1-2k to get them painted on with all my bills. It's just not a possibility. I talked to this airbrush expert (who I originally talked to about doing the vinyls on my car but he's backed up for like a month) told me to bring it by his shop Monday and he will measure them and take pictures. Gabe, no, I didn't pay yet - they wanted me to wait until it was completely done and "satisfied" which is never gonna happen with them!!! I mean the guy when he cut around the washer nozzle, he cut too big and had to put a small piece on TOP of it to cover where he had overcut it and it looks tacky when you directly look at it. IDK i'll take a few pictures and put them up on here so you guys can see.
Patience young one... Take some time to save up for the stripes if you can't do 1k-2k right NOW doesn't mean you can't wait a little longer... besides you don't necessarily need to get them painted on, go the vinyl route like you chose but wait a bit longer and find a good shop for 400-500. Make sure they show you some of their work first before signing up with them.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:04 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

do they still want to charge you? do you have the keys. if so run in there start your car and haul *** out and takem off yourself. LOL
but seriously that is [sm=bs.gif] good luck

ORIGINAL: MaddieMustang

Ok, here's my vent...

every place I talked to didn't want to do the car for less than $350-$400 because the bumpers are hard to do. I wanted dual 10" stripes with 1/4" pinstripes on each side of each big stripe. I found a place to do it. They f'd it COMPLETELY UP!! First off... I brought it in 2 SATURDAYS AGO when they were supposed to do it. THey were gonna do it for $200. They didn't have the vinyl. Brought it back Monday - all they got done was the hood. Brought it back Tuesday - they messed up so no more progress was made. Brought it back Friday - they got the hood done. Brought it in yesterday got the trunk lid done with nothing left but the bumpers. Well it is so F'D up I'm about to rip this s*** right off. The stripes are NOT even... the gaps VARY... some of the pinstripes are narrower then others, the gaps aren't even - some gaps between the pinstripes and the larger stripe are WIDER than others. They taper down. Next the guy said that the Pony emblem in the back is off center - which it's NOT because my boyfriend and I measured it from the middle white stripe to the tail light and it was the same on both sides (dumb sh**).

So the pinstripe on the right side falls UNDER the emblem where the pinstripe on the opposite side of the emblem doesn't even TOUCH it!!!!!!! I was supposed to bring it in today to get the bumpers finished but they aren't answering - I just want them to take it off. SO now I don't know what to do. Is it THAT difficult to do?! Granted I have absolutely no patience but after 4 and 5 days of being at this place ALL day it should be done and BEYOND PERFECT by now! Anyone have any suggestions? Please?

This is the worst week ever. My cat that i've had since i was 6 years old got put down on Monday, and my phone is broken and this car crap has been going on for 2 weeks. I need some sanity!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:09 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I can imagine how frustrating this is for you, I got mine put on for 200. A few things I took away from the project when I did mine, as follows:

1. Despite the fact that my wife and son chose the stripe setup, which included not running it down the bumpers. The shop I went to said not to run it down the front bumpers if you are going vinyl stripes. Reason being is every car they do the front on get nicks from rocks. So, if you take it to a shop, and go this route, this should shave off the price a bit.

2. I went to 3 shops till I found one that my other mustang friend refered me to. In the end, the best place to take it to was.....a ricer shop. I kid you not, guy was awesome at it.

I would call some import shops that ae specialized on "show" more than go. You know, poser shops!!! LOL. They actually have a use after all. Consider your front bumper, its the hardest part to stripe. Not doing it will eliminate an hour of work. Not sure how you feel about that.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
V6Vert
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble, I too lack in the patience department, so I know how you feel. On another note, I hate to discourage you, but vinyles will not last long. I had my last truck striped with 12" stripes and 1/2 " pinstripes all the way down the bumpers ($450). Within one year, there were rock pecks etc.. all over the front making the tape look like crap. It also started peeling off in some places after a while due to the extreme heat we have here in the South. I'd deffinatly wait until I could afford painted ones or none at all, no more vinyle for me, just my opinion though. Hope your week gets better, and so sorry to hear about your cat too[&o]
Old 04-21-2006, 02:28 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

sorry to here your probs. but remember the first three letters of you name are mad after all! so here is what i did just to let you know just whats invlolved.
1. ordered stripes from grafics express in florida 200 bucks
2. per there instructions i got some naphta frome the local home depot and washed the area where the stripe were going to go. eight (8) times yes eight using a new wrag each time. this in it self took forever. ( you want to remove all the wax. )
3. got 2 rolls of 3/4" blue masking tape. also from HD
4. now i actually have cool tolls so i used my lazer and shot down the center of the car. and put the tape on either side of the beam. this gave me my 2" gap. Just measure a center mark and use a grease pencil to mark everywhere and put the tape along the car now you have your spacing this took about an hour or so.
5 lay out the stripes and get ready. i did this in the garage.
6. i ordered some solution from them but soap water mix works ok too. wet everything then remove backing as your wetting it and place it on the car up to the tape then start to squeegy and peal off cover use a heat jun or dryer to wrap edges under hood ant trunk. the whole install took my son and i about 8 hours not a real easy car to do.

mine have been on for a year now in no probs.

man i hate loosing pets they are truly family sorry to hear that!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

So sorry to hear about this! It really pays to go to a reputable shop.

And... very sorry to hear about the loss of your cat... they become so much a part of us.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
FearMyMatrix
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your week, but definately get away from these guys and go with a better shop that has pictures of their work so you can see what kind of job they do. When your car is striped correctly it's gonna set your ride off IMO. Also sorry to hear about your cat, I've lost many pets before and it never gets easier, like losing a family member. Good luck and don't give up on the stripes, it'll be worth it in the end
Old 04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

hey Maddie, sorry to hear about all of the trouble you're going through with this. Just curious, but do they have your car, or are you bringing it back and forth? If they don't have it, I just would go somewhere else. If they have it, are they going to hold it hostage until you give them some sort of payment? I know they said that they won't charge you, but they'll probably still try to pull some sort of guilt trip on you...
Old 04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

That is truly a shame. based on what you've described, don't even bother taking it back except to have the stripes removed. They will never get it right. One of the other guys on here had a similar experience, unfortunately in his case the striper actually trimmed the vinyl ON HIS CAR. As a result, when the stripes were removed he had cuts/ scratches in his paint! He had to have it all sanded out and have stripes painted on then clearcoated to cover up the damage. Hopefully they didn't do that on your car, but you might want to check.

It is VERY difficult to get the stripes straight if stock rolls of vinyl are being used. It's a lot better to get a stripe kit as the vinyl has already been cut to the proper angles to compensate for the shape of the bumpers.

Quick Reply: Aggravated with STRIPES!!