Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:14 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

Default Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Ok, here's my vent...

every place I talked to didn't want to do the car for less than $350-$400 because the bumpers are hard to do. I wanted dual 10" stripes with 1/4" pinstripes on each side of each big stripe. I found a place to do it. They f'd it COMPLETELY UP!! First off... I brought it in 2 SATURDAYS AGO when they were supposed to do it. THey were gonna do it for $200. They didn't have the vinyl. Brought it back Monday - all they got done was the hood. Brought it back Tuesday - they messed up so no more progress was made. Brought it back Friday - they got the hood done. Brought it in yesterday got the trunk lid done with nothing left but the bumpers. Well it is so F'D up I'm about to rip this s*** right off. The stripes are NOT even... the gaps VARY... some of the pinstripes are narrower then others, the gaps aren't even - some gaps between the pinstripes and the larger stripe are WIDER than others. They taper down. Next the guy said that the Pony emblem in the back is off center - which it's NOT because my boyfriend and I measured it from the middle white stripe to the tail light and it was the same on both sides (dumb sh**).

So the pinstripe on the right side falls UNDER the emblem where the pinstripe on the opposite side of the emblem doesn't even TOUCH it!!!!!!! I was supposed to bring it in today to get the bumpers finished but they aren't answering - I just want them to take it off. SO now I don't know what to do. Is it THAT difficult to do?! Granted I have absolutely no patience but after 4 and 5 days of being at this place ALL day it should be done and BEYOND PERFECT by now! Anyone have any suggestions? Please?

This is the worst week ever. My cat that i've had since i was 6 years old got put down on Monday, and my phone is broken and this car crap has been going on for 2 weeks. I need some sanity!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Aggravated with STRIPES!!

Getting freshly stuck stripes off, is easy. They will just peel off. Take it to another shop and get their opinion. Hate to say it but there's a reason those other shops were charging nearly double than the place you're at.
Caveat Emptor

Sorry to hear your week is going crappy, maybe the weekend will be better

ORIGINAL: MaddieMustang

Ok, here's my vent...

every place I talked to didn't want to do the car for less than $350-$400 because the bumpers are hard to do. I wanted dual 10" stripes with 1/4" pinstripes on each side of each big stripe. I found a place to do it. They f'd it COMPLETELY UP!! First off... I brought it in 2 SATURDAYS AGO when they were supposed to do it. THey were gonna do it for $200. They didn't have the vinyl. Brought it back Monday - all they got done was the hood. Brought it back Tuesday - they messed up so no more progress was made. Brought it back Friday - they got the hood done. Brought it in yesterday got the trunk lid done with nothing left but the bumpers. Well it is so F'D up I'm about to rip this s*** right off. The stripes are NOT even... the gaps VARY... some of the pinstripes are narrower then others, the gaps aren't even - some gaps between the pinstripes and the larger stripe are WIDER than others. They taper down. Next the guy said that the Pony emblem in the back is off center - which it's NOT because my boyfriend and I measured it from the middle white stripe to the tail light and it was the same on both sides (dumb sh**).

So the pinstripe on the right side falls UNDER the emblem where the pinstripe on the opposite side of the emblem doesn't even TOUCH it!!!!!!! I was supposed to bring it in today to get the bumpers finished but they aren't answering - I just want them to take it off. SO now I don't know what to do. Is it THAT difficult to do?! Granted I have absolutely no patience but after 4 and 5 days of being at this place ALL day it should be done and BEYOND PERFECT by now! Anyone have any suggestions? Please?

This is the worst week ever. My cat that i've had since i was 6 years old got put down on Monday, and my phone is broken and this car crap has been going on for 2 weeks. I need some sanity!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

wow.. im sorry to hear the trouble you are having... my local detailing shop around here.. did my entire car except the bumpers for $300.... and it turned out perfectly.. there are pics somewhere on this forum.. i mean they are right.. the bumpers really are a pain the ***, but if they are done right a shop would do them for like $125 each.. anyways in terms for removing the vinyl.. since it is fairly new you should be able to take a hairdryer and heat them up and slowly remove them if i remember correctly.. im not a 100% positive on that... but anyways... did you pay the shop already?!?!!?! because if they are that bad, they should fix them for you and do it correctly especially if you already paid them... hope everything works out... when the stripes are done Correctly the car will look amazing
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well for that price, I could see how they Fd it up, remember, you get what you pay for, the $300-500 price range sounds a little more accurate, bucause installing stripes like that isn't an easy job. Personally, if I were spending that much money, I'd get them painted on, that way you don't have to worry about them chipping, pealing, or fading in the future.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM
hapkido13

I have alot of vinyl decals all over my car. I usually did them myself. Putting stripes on perfect is a hard thing to do. Spacing has to be perfect. These 2nd hand people are probably just trying to guess it. If you want it right, you may have to pay more. Personally I dont like the race stripes on the new mustang.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Well for that price, I could see how they Fd it up, remember, you get what you pay for, the $300-500 price range sounds a little more accurate, bucause installing stripes like that isn't an easy job. Personally, if I were spending that much money, I'd get them painted on, that way you don't have to worry about them chipping, pealing, or fading in the future.
Except if you're getting them painted, you'll be looking at more than double that price. Again, you get what you pay for in that department as well.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

yea traken is right... basically they would do the whole car.. clear-coated and all for around $1000-$1250 if i had the money at the time i would have just gotten mine painted on..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

Thanks Derf, I hope so too...

I really don't mind paying up to $350 or even $400 for the entire car, but literally no places in this area will do them because of the bumpers, which completely makes the look imo. I can't afford $1-2k to get them painted on with all my bills. It's just not a possibility. I talked to this airbrush expert (who I originally talked to about doing the vinyls on my car but he's backed up for like a month) told me to bring it by his shop Monday and he will measure them and take pictures. Gabe, no, I didn't pay yet - they wanted me to wait until it was completely done and "satisfied" which is never gonna happen with them!!! I mean the guy when he cut around the washer nozzle, he cut too big and had to put a small piece on TOP of it to cover where he had overcut it and it looks tacky when you directly look at it. IDK i'll take a few pictures and put them up on here so you guys can see.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

When vinyl is done correctly it looks awesome...

here are some pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/17479/4F72F97A4BD347BAB04A2C269B5747D8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17479/11F1718586594F018C17DE71FB630363.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17479/B32A986BBC6845CBAC874FBE57D5877F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17479/7AC90A0314714D90B57A49AE90E41893.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear it went so bad, but you deffinitely get what you pay for in the stripe dept. I had a local place do it for $300, but it was the first time they had done them, so he had nothing to base cost on. Took them about 8hrs, but they came out perfect. He told me he would deffinitely be charging more than $300 if he had to do them on another car LOL.

Quick Reply: Aggravated with STRIPES!!