Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Operation Retro Pony

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Operation Retro Pony

Just committed myself to a retro makeover.

Observe this lovely 1967 fastback:

Just put in an order for some flexible chrome and a pony grille insert (kinda like the pony package). I'll use the flexible chrome to make a grille bezel or the border around the grille like you see above; then pony grille insert, or "corral around the pony"; then I'll look into getting the fog lamp bezels; then I'll put in an order for black chrome to place over my headlights to echo the head light splitters like this:

I already have the taillight bezels, but it needs the pony grille insert to continue the theme.

I'll photochop this all when I get home from work. Really excited about this project!

Total expenses:
Flexible chrome - $27 + shipping
Pony grille insert - $99 + shipping
Fog lamp bezels - $60
Black chrome - $27 + shipping
Taillight bezels - $40

Hoping to have the splitters and the grille bezel look like the parnelli jones stang:

Old 08-10-2006, 04:16 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Operation Retro Pony

Cool, I saw one in a mag that had the flexible chrome aroung the windows and grille, all you need now are the chrome mirror covers
Old 08-10-2006, 04:22 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss 244

Cool, I saw one in a mag that had the flexible chrome aroung the windows and grille, all you need now are the chrome mirror covers
I could go around the windows... but I'd need more chrome, and it's probably too much bling.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

you might wanna hold back on all that chrome man....looks cheap when there is too much
Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

you might wanna hold back on all that chrome man....looks cheap when there is too much
And I guess that's the beauty of it. You be the judge when I'm done. If it sucks, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that. I'll just rip the crappy parts off, it's probably only $30..
Old 08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

so are you ganna go retro parnelli jones or retro boss/mach 1????? This might help you decide https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=B2_FNT3-4_(820x549).jpg
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: powerProdigy

so are you ganna go retro parnelli jones or retro boss/mach 1????? This might help you decide https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=B2_FNT3-4_(820x549).jpg
I guess some wierd permutation of both. It will mostly resemble the fastback, then the headlight splitters I've taken from the boss.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I think that Parnelli Jones Mustang is the hottest I've seen yet; I saw one in person at the Saleen show room in Irvine and think it looks 100% better than a Saleen.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:00 PM
MUSTloveSTANG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Just committed myself to a retro makeover.

Observe this lovely 1967 fastback:

GORGEOUS!!!! [sm=Awwww.gif]

I have been contemplating the whole chrome/retro thing for some time now....
I too want to go for the retro look, I actually am in the process of doing the same grill set up as you talk of. I have the GT bumper and fog bezels and just need the pony coral. I love all the crome used on older cars and would like to emulate the classic look. I just don't know how well it would turn out on our 'new' style of cars. I love chrome, I am just kinda scared of having too much and it looking cheesy..or even worse, ghetto.

Any one have some retro takes on our new style stangs? pics??
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I'll let you in on a secret--chrome now comes in colors--Like the bronze on mine-hard to tell from the photos, but if you saw it in person you'd stop-happens every where I go. Anyways, a part of my job is to let people know about this, which is called 'Spinelle metal finish" GM, Ford and DCX all are releasing cars with our black chrome, and I do a lot of autoshow concept cars in different colors. The point is if you are really serious about this route, and don't mind a few more bucks being spent, I can have your parts you buy in chrome redone in a chrome color you pick, or matches your car, or your stripes, or your cell phone. We can't make white, yellow and some reds. You can look at this process if you live around Irvine CA, Phonix AZ or the Detroit area. I will be in Newport Beach CA the week of Sept 11th, with a Chrysler 300c that I did all the original bright chrome in an aqua glass chrome.

Quick Reply: Operation Retro Pony