Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Ya'll were wrong about the white-lettered tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default Ya'll were wrong about the white-lettered tires

A while back I posted asking peoples opinions on white lettered tires on their stangs. I would say about 80% of people thought it was a dumb idea. What I decided to do sounds a bit silly, but I went for it anyway. I bought a little white tire pen just to see what it would look like on my stock 18" g-force BFG's. So far all I've had time to do is fill in the g-force part and it looks KILLER! I understand putting some tire paint on a $30k car sounds CHEAP, but after a second coat I think it'll look ridiculous....(in a good way). It takes a lot of time however to make it look like it's meant to be there and not smeared on there with a piece of chalk. With that said, I'm expecting about 8 hrs to do all 4 with a couple coats. After I have completed my little project I will try post some pics to show you guys and gals what I'm talking about.

Everyone has their own opinions, but I have a hard time understanding yours if you don't think this looks NASTY COOL! If you disagree with me, I accept your opinion and realize we're all driving sweet cars anyway!

This car is still making me smile!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:35 PM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ya'll were wrong about the white-lettered tires

Post some pic... I think this would look good and I may do the same... After all it is retro..
Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Wildcat13
1st Gear Member

can't wait to see pics! My husband's 01 Camaro SS had white lettering on the tires and it looked great!! I have thought about it for my stang too
Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

As far as I'm concerned, retro is retro, so I don't see how anyone can make issue with your idea. I'd love to see some pics when you're done. Maybe you'll start a trend in the industry back to the future LOL.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:00 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

What I used to love about the white-lettered tires was watching them spin. I will obviously not be able to post a pic of them spinning, but when I came out of a restaurant today and saw my car there....I almost wet myself. It looks HOT spinning...or sitting still!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Back in the day, my brother and I used to touch up the raised white letters with Testor's model paint!!

Can't wait to see it.....Now if I could just find a Hijackers sticker for me back window........
Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Took some pics this evening after my hard work. I'm very happy with how it came out. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, my time estimate was a little off. Once I got the hang of it and got my pen working good, you can cruise along and takes about 15-20 min. per tire.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

I'm having a terrible time trying to crop my pics down to a reasonable size. I can try email a pic to someone if they can figure out how to get it to an allowable size. In the meantime I've added some very cropped pics that don't show the whole car.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 AM
firemaker117

Sweet, That looks awesome, you just used a tire pen on that?

[IMG]local://upfiles/28949/DF5E6F5FA991478299BDEA71114A9068.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

I'm liking it.

Quick Reply: Ya'll were wrong about the white-lettered tires