Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Shaker Hood Scoop System

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker Hood Scoop System

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

Great job on that install Bish.

THANKS for shareing your install experience!

I was one of the early guys to do my install - so was not aware of the metal dust .... took me like an hour to clean the base of the windshield!

FYI:... I bought longer bolts and 1/2" spacers which I replaced the bolts and installed the spacers between the mounting bracket and the fiberglass body of the shaker in the front of the unit. this made the unit sit taller out of my hood.

Word of warning though - I ended up shaving a little off of the spacers because the body of the shaker was rubbing on the trim ring a little too much.

Thanks for the comments!!

I was admiring your scoop system being painted to match and that has crossed my mind to have that done. That looks cool as can be.

Thanks for the heightening hints and tips.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:15 PM
GTsrock!

I am going to do this during winter months that the car is in storage I have a question though, Would it be easier to remove the hood and cut it that way? It seems to me that would be safer than leaning on the hood reaching to cut it. And is there a sealer needed fot the freshly cut ares?What about paint chipping while cutting, is that common? Awesome how too .....Thanks it made up my mind about messing with my 2006 GT
Old 09-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Removing the hood IMO would not be worth it. It is fairly easy to reach and it saves you the hassle of realigning the hood. I had some touch up paint to cover the freshly cut areas but it really isnt needed. The hood is aluminum and aluminum will not rust. And about the paint chipping. Before cutting the hood the paint is scored to help prevent chipping. Also the masking tape will also aid in preventing chips. If it was to still chip, the trim ring will cover even a fairly large mistake. Just be sure to buy a very fine tooth blade and use a fairly fast blade speed.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I too do NOT recommend taking off the hood. You have to have some other place to put it during the cut. I didn't really lean on the hood as much as I did the fenders. As far as shavings, there were some but most fell through to the blanket underneath that was there for that very purpose. Anything on the hood I just blew off with forced air. As a funny side note, it was hot in the garage and some of the shavings would collect in one of the drops of sweat that would land on the hood while working. They would bead up and eventually dry leaving the clump of shavings just sitting there. They would wipe off without incident.

As far a paint chipping. I did a thorough cut with the box knife to score the cutout properly. The fast cut speed of the saw and the fact that I had a new, very sharp blade made the cutting very easy. The saw basically walked along and I just guided it along the scoring. I never had one paint chip problem. The cut was very clean.

As far as a winter project, I hope your winters are short. It only took a total of 6 hours to complete the project and that was with a couple hours of break time in between. You should have this done in a night.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
GTsrock!

I'll be doing a number of mods, so thats just one........but it's good to know how long approx ....Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 AM
harmonix

Nice Job. I am also thinking very seriously about installing this myself. I'm just concerned that the dealer might find a way to void my warranty? He offered to install a shaker scoop but If it's anything like the $800 stripes he charged me for, the scoop is probably around $2500 if he does it!!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harmonix

Nice Job. I am also thinking very seriously about installing this myself. I'm just concerned that the dealer might find a way to void my warranty? He offered to install a shaker scoop but If it's anything like the $800 stripes he charged me for, the scoop is probably around $2500 if he does it!!

LMAO I bet.

I took mine back to the dealer today as they wanted to see it. They were very impressed and were shocked that I did it myself. They thought it looked very pro. Not sure what you can void with the warranty unless it's the paint. Doesn't matter tho as that paint is gone.

It was super easy to dress the hood. The hard part was mounting the shaker to the motor.[:'(]
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 AM
harmonix

Was the upper and lower trim ring easy to align and snap or rivet i think it said into place? It says something about have the top trim ring painted by an autobody shop? Is this neccesary? Is it good enough of a finish to leave alone?

Dave
Old 09-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Bish
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harmonix

Was the upper and lower trim ring easy to align and snap or rivet i think it said into place? It says something about have the top trim ring painted by an autobody shop? Is this neccesary? Is it good enough of a finish to leave alone?

Dave
The trim rings are very easy to snap together. You do this after you've replaced the hood blanket if you elect to reuse it. I actaully took a couple of days, after the install was comlete before I did the riveting. That took all of 5 minutes including opening and closing the hood.

The upper/outer ring is finished enough you do NOT have to have it painted. It's a bit rough and will tear up a paper towel and leave remnants if you wipe it down. I would imagine it would be sanded smoother before painting but it looks fine without doing anything to it as long as you don't mind the black accent.

I'm actually going to go visit a body shop today and see if they will give me an estimate to have the ring and scoop painted to match the car. I like how Professor Wizards looks painted to match.

Good questions!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
mikerdrocker
1st Gear Member

What does the shaker bolt to?

Quick Reply: Shaker Hood Scoop System