Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Back glass louver's

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Back glass louver's

ORIGINAL: jay_t

scrming, a few questions about those louvers, as i'm thinking about doing louvers in the spring:

1. how much do they affect rear window visibility?

2. since they are metal, will weather have any adverse affect on them?

3. taking care of them: when washing the car, do you take them off, or just wash the car with them on?

they definitely look better than any of the louvers i've seen so far!
1) They really don't affect the visibility... looking through the rear view mirror all you really see is the leading edge of the louvers... I've had quite a few different sized people sit in my car to check visibility and all were amazed and usually said something like "wow, I can hardly tell they're there"

2) No. They are powered coated aluminum... after a michigan winter they still look like as good as the day we put them on!

3) I leave them on... I blast them with the high pressure hose... no problem! They are hinged so you can lift them up if you want to wash the window...

I agree... they are great looking!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Nick040905
1st Gear Member

Dmhines those are the ones i had lol
Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Nick040905
1st Gear Member

Scrming can the mrt ones be painted?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nick040905

Scrming can the mrt ones be painted?
Yes, I know you can paint them.. but i'm not a painter but I believe you would just scuff them up a bit and paint them... or you chould have MRT paint them for you!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

And they came off? I've had mine for about 1 month now ... no signs of them loosening or coming off ...

I want to get the MRT version one day ... those are also held on with 3M tape. FYI ... JCWHITNEY sells them for $399 with free shipping from what I have seend .. might need a code ...
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

And they came off? I've had mine for about 1 month now ... no signs of them loosening or coming off ...

I want to get the MRT version one day ... those are also held on with 3M tape. FYI ... JCWHITNEY sells them for $399 with free shipping from what I have seend .. might need a code ...
Scott from MRT was in Oklahoma with the Interceptor which has the rear louvers on it... over night a tornado came and while things took a beating all around the 3M tape held on and the louvers stayed on the car! There was a LOT more stress on the 3M tape from the tornado than you'll ever put on it by driving... unless you drive backwards at 100 MPH!!! LOL!!
Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Nick040905
1st Gear Member

Mine were on for over a year i guess the tape just doesnt last. anyway i wish that guy in the truck wouldnt have ran them over i think he did it on purpose i mean how can you not see louvers in the middle of the road all of the other cars were going around them... o well i think i will get some new ones but i dont know yet i dont really want another $400 blowing off my car again [&:]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 PM
jay_t

ORIGINAL: Nick040905

Mine were on for over a year i guess the tape just doesnt last. anyway i wish that guy in the truck wouldnt have ran them over i think he did it on purpose i mean how can you not see louvers in the middle of the road all of the other cars were going around them... o well i think i will get some new ones but i dont know yet i dont really want another $400 blowing off my car again [&:]
did they damage your trunklid or spoiler when they flew off?

if that ever happened with the metal ones, i could see them leaving some ugly scratches back there [:-]
Old 10-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Nick040905
1st Gear Member

No it didnt harm the car at all... They jusy lifted off the car and blew back lol i watched it in my rear view. It made me sick when the guy ran over them they would have been ok if he didnt run them over [:@]
Old 10-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Dang I am glad I ventured to the V6 side of the world. I have been trying to dig some info on these for awhile.

How glossy are these? I am going to be adding a honeycomb blackout panel and a cdc chin spoiler to go along with my shaker hood and I want them all to match. I am worried from the pics I have seen the MRT ones might be to glossy.

How do they hinge yet stick with tape? I am trying to picture how this all works and how secure they would be on the car.

And I know this is a total matter of opinion but does everyone agree the plastic ones do not look near as good? I was thinking the plastic might match the panel better and save me some cash. I have yet to see any of these in person though.

They look so damn good though. It would really complete my retro theme.

Also how much do the MRT ones weigh?

Quick Reply: Back glass louver's