Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Let's See Those Light Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default Let's See Those Light Bars

So I've seen many pictures of fellow S197 convertible owners who have installed light-bars on the verts... being a noob here I'm wondering if they have a practical purpose or are they just for aesthetics? At first I didn't like the look but I think now its growing on me. Do they wire into the third brake light and light up with the brake? (duhhhhh its called a light-bar)... and I presume the vert top just slip right over it when opening/closing. Their position seems to provide a blind spot, no?

Lastly, are there several "styles"? Please post pics of yours if you have it installed.

Thank you!!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Let's See Those Light Bars

==being a noob here I'm wondering if they have a practical purpose or are they just for aesthetics?==

They are for aesthetics, they don't offer any rollover protection.

==Do they wire into the third brake light and light up with the brake?==

Correct. You tap into the brake light wiring under the seat. A handy thing to add is the Webelectric switch, it shuts the lightbar brake light off if the top is in the "up" position. Otherwise that light lights up the whole back seat of the car at night.

==and I presume the vert top just slip right over it when opening/closing.==

Correct.

==Their position seems to provide a blind spot, no?==

It mostly blocks the right rear window if you're looking over your right shoulder, but I couldn't see much there anyway because the top blocks most of that area as it is. I didn't find any significant new vision blockage after installing the bar.

==Lastly, are there several "styles"?==

CDC only offers one style. I'm not aware of any others, but they may be out there. A couple of other guys around here have done "real" roll bars, but they were custom fabricated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/4776C17C17944D6F88E8DCDA7F1367BA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/9BB91291018A4B71BB7F94EA887C786E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/B5CDE881328E40EF88CBD948795E507E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Sharp looking. No rollover protection, got it.

Was the install difficult?

So CDC is currently the only vendor that offers a light bar? That doesn't make sense did I misunderstand you?

Any pictures with the brake stepped on? Like to see how it lights up.

Thanks !!!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Good post. Would be interesting in seeing what comes out or what is posted for ideas...
Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

Sharp looking. No rollover protection, got it.

Was the install difficult?

So CDC is currently the only vendor that offers a light bar? That doesn't make sense did I misunderstand you?

Any pictures with the brake stepped on? Like to see how it lights up.

Thanks !!!
The install is quite easy if you're handy. The instructions are very good. I originally installed the bar in my 05, then when my 07 arrived I moved the bar from the 05 to the 07. It took about 2-1/2 hours to install it in the 05 and maybe 1-1/2 to move it because the second time I knew what I was doing

CDC is the manufacturer of this light bar. It can be purchased through various vendors, but from what I've seen you get pretty much the same price regardless of who you get it from. I ordered it straight from CDC and had it in less than a week.

No pic of the brake light, but it's bright at night!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Steeda also makes a similar bar. It does not have a brake light in it. It has a chrome strip along the top. Steeda is asking $949 for theirs where as the CDC is about $420.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15215/F7BB4DE0DE0B4A309FC88EA60B16A53B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-28-2006, 01:41 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Haney motorsports is running a special, $389.95 including shipping. This is the lowest price around and the service was exceptional. They are great!!

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/2005-...ight%20Bar.htm
Old 12-31-2006, 02:58 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Check out the following link:

www.californiamustang.com

If you look in the section for 2005-2007 mustangs, and scroll to page 2 you will see a "style-bar" for $389.00. This bar is made by Aeroform and it does not include a brake light.None of these style or light bars offer andfunctional safety or roll-over protection. They are for aesthetic purposes only.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
yellowtoy

I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to find the right style bar for the right price. So far I've found about4 different makers (Roush, Steeda, CDC, & a "no name")

I found the Roush for $506.95 My husband likes this one because it looks like it has a little of an angle on it (but we're not sure so if anyone knows please post) Here's the link to that one:
http://www.innerauto.com/store/buy.p...p;s=1&my=1

Then I found a website that had both the Steeda and another one but it doesn't mention the brand of the second one. The Steeda is listed at $395.95 and then the one that doesn't mention the brand name they are advertising on clearance for $249.99!!! I'd be curious if you get what you pay for with that one. Here's the link:
http://www.cruizinconcepts.com/musta...light_bars.asp

Good luck in your decision. I'll be checking back to see the pics posted to help us in our decision. Thanks for the great post.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:52 PM
kopfjager
1st Gear Member

Just do a real six-point roll bar that is functional not one of those girly lightbars!

Quick Reply: Let's See Those Light Bars