Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Painting Calipers - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:07 AM
liam201

Default Painting Calipers - need opinions

Hey folks, I am thinking about painting my calipers. They seem to be the cheapest and easiest apperance mod and look hot. I made some test pics with different colors and need help settling on one. Excuse the crappy pics.... I used Microsoft Paint. Let me know which ones you like.

Red - the most common one. Not sure if it goes well with Legend Lime paint.
[IMG]local://upfiles/48500/F00AD6E817C5488D875D7B6CCAE4DBE4.jpg[/IMG]

Black - might look nice, but really hard to see. I want something that stands out.
[IMG]local://upfiles/48500/5E3C49080622401694940B6D49C8AF83.jpg[/IMG]

Yellow - This looks clean and noticeable, but I am not sure it is the right color for Legend Lime.
[IMG]local://upfiles/48500/E0A995E014D8481087A8A5172F373EE5.jpg[/IMG]

Olive - the closest I could find to Legend Lime. Looks ok.
[IMG]local://upfiles/48500/05EB03E25F814190BA89E5E0AA614E0E.jpg[/IMG]

Lime - Actual lime... I didn't think it would look good, but I am impressed. Noticeable, clean.... may be the one I choose.
[IMG]local://upfiles/48500/97452C59484A4A9D9A7868AC7054A7F5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting Calipers - need opinions

Why does your V6 have GT badges?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:08 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

Why does your V6 have GT badges?
Maybe it's a GT that just got posted in the wrong section???
Old 01-14-2007, 01:50 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

On you color car I honestly think the metel finish that stock offeres looks best against the legend. The next runner up would be black from your pics IMO. Let me know if I can help you out.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:58 PM
liam201

[align=left]Sorry, I should have stated this - I didn't have a good pic of my mustang, so I used a pic of a GT I found with the right light and position. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]In response to the Metal finish or Black finish - they both look clean and nice, yes. Although, I want something that stands out... you know, turns heads. I greatly appreciate your opinion though, flewbyu.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I am leaning heavily towards the Lime green or Yellow (my second choice). Thoughts?[/align][align=left][sm=feedback.gif][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Oh, one more thing - I am thinking about masking off everything around the calipers and painting them. I am not a mechanic, so I am afraid of taking them off and not putting them back on correctly. When I am cleaning the calipers, is it bad for the cleaning spray to get on the rotors, etc.? Do I need to wipe it off?[/align]
Old 01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

liam201
[align=left]Sorry, I should have stated this - I didn't have a good pic of my mustang, so I used a pic of a GT I found with the right light and position. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]In response to the Metal finish or Black finish - they both look clean and nice, yes. Although, I want something that stands out... you know, turns heads. I greatly appreciate your opinion though, flewbyu.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I am leaning heavily towards the Lime green or Yellow (my second choice). Thoughts?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Oh, one more thing - I am thinking about masking off everything around the calipers and painting them. I am not a mechanic, so I am afraid of taking them off and not putting them back on correctly. When I am cleaning the calipers, is it bad for the cleaning spray to get on the rotors, etc.? Do I need to wipe it off?[/align]
Masking is fine, while cleaning the calipers you do not need to wipe off the rotors but there is no need to get them overly wet either. As you focus on the calipers themselves not much spray will get on the rotors; some will but not to much. Spray what is needed and no more. If you fill like you have over saturated them then wipe the access off.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

I think white look sweet. Here is how mine came out. Not hard to do, I did it with spary and they are brakes so it doesn't take that much extra work to keep um clean.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:13 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

liam201..you pose an interesting challange....what color caliper goes well with your car color. In my opinion...red is a no-go.It just does not match. Yellow...is too loud. If that's what youwant, then OK. Black would be my preference. Why? Because you can further pursue the Black./Green theme for your Stang and not have to re-look at the calipers. You can accentuate the black calipers with some colored decals too. Check out my gallery and you'll see that Ipainted the silver-stock calipers black and placed a silver pony smack in the middle.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 AM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Maybe check out a gold color? If not then gor ed or leave it the metal finish.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 AM
liam201

Hmmm.... didn't think about white... nice choice, but I don't think I could live with it for long. And gold just wouldn't work for me with the chrome all around the car... too contrasting for me. Although, the black with the silver/white decal... I forgot I have the black stripe theme going. I am getting racing stripes soon too. Maybe I should stick with black and put a decal on... Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If anyone else has any opinions they want to add, please do.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers - need opinions