Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:21 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)

As most of you 07+ (I added the + because I'm making the assumption the 08's will be the same way) owners know,they are a pain in the butt to replace the rear speakers in, as opposed to just popping a grill off like you 05-06 guys can do. I've just finished getting to mine and decided to post pics and descriptions up of how I did it. It's kinda long, so bear with me. This is more involved than popping off a couple grills, here's a pic after I was finally able to get to the speakers just so you can see what you are getting yourself into.

Yea, you're taking basically the whole interior out from the front seats back except for the rear seat cusions. So, lets start this, Pick a side to work on, I chose the driver's side but it's completely up to you:
1: Start at the rear of the A-pillar trim panel (trim over the door opening) just over your head and pull it out. I didn't remove it, just pop it loose up to the windshield.

2: Remove the door scuff plate, pull from the carpeted side to release about 4-5 clips and the flat part with the "Mustang" plate is taped down to the inner door jamb

3. Remove the push retainer below the seat cusion holding the lower quarter trim panel

4. Fold the rear seat forward and remove the 2 other push retainers holding the lower quarter trim panel

5. insert your hand down in the hole where the seatbelt disappears behind this panel and pull out to release about 2 more clips

6. Carefully remove this panel, it takes some maneuvering, but will go

7. Open the coat hook cover by inserting a small screwdriver in the top edge of the little door on it and popping it open. Remove the T-15 torx screw from under there and remove the coat hook

8. remove the upper front seat belt bolt cover by prying it off and remove the bolt (I think it was a 14mm but don't remember)

9. pop the upper quarter window trim panel loose the rest of the way and remove it

10. Repeat steps 2-6 on the other side, you don't need to remove the quarter window trim on this side to get to the speakers.

11. remove the 4 push pin retainers holding the parcel shelf in around the seat belts.

12. use the slits in the parcel shelf to get the seat belts out of the parcel shelf

13. lift up on the parcel shelf, rotating it towards the side you took the most panels from to remove it

Now you should look like that picture I posted before! A lot of work for a speaker huh? I've got a fix for all this work though....

Remove the speakers buy unscrewing the T-10 torx screws holding them in.

Here is where you're really gonna thank me:
after you remove the speakers, pop the red retainer blocks that the screws were in out and invert them in the holes so they face down into the trunk, not up into the back glass. This way you can bolt the speakers in from the trunk and won't have to go through all this crap if you decide to change your speakers out later. Here's pics of both ways:

AS IT COMES FROM FACTORY:

AFTER INVERTING SCREW ANCHORS ALLOWING BOTTOM MOUNT:

I bolted the factory speaker back on to illustrate my mounting technique. If your aftermarket speakers are like mine, you might need spacers to be able to bottom mount them. I plan on doing a plate later to mount a6 1/2" component set to, this setup will be ideal.

Re-installation of all the interior parts are reverse of removal procedures.

Hope this helps someone, I searched all over this forum for info on them, but didn't find much to help me out. Just wanted to make it a little easier on the next guy.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
poopsidoo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)

Thanks dude. Thats great. I think I will try it. And thanks for the tip, and the notification.
You know, the funny thing is, as I gotten used to the Shaker 500, I find the rear speaker position gives me the most "bassey" sound for some reason--even with those crappy speaker. Guess its the trunk enclosure.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

yea, you're probably right, the older Fords with the speakers in the quarter panel didn't sound as good as the ones with them in the deck. I'm not looking for much bass, since I'm gonna do a sub back there, but they should have pretty good mids. Now I'll tackle the doors, they should be much easier.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Oh yea, and just a hint, if you plan on getting windows tinted, do this before getting the tint, or you may scratch the hell out of the tint. Getting the quarter window trim back in properly is a HUGE pain! there is a hook at the rear that has to go in a hole in the quarter panel. It took me many tries to hit that hole right.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!! I just had my windows tinted for my as yet to be delivered GT...
Aint no way I'm gonna go through all that to replace those rear speakers (Shaker 500). Might just have to live with them !! [:-]
Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I've heard the shaker system doesn't sound too bad, I intended to upgrade to all aftermarket stuff is why I ordered the car with the base stereo. Honestly, the quarter window trim is the worst part, the rest isn't too bad, you just have to take it easy to not scratch the panels on the way out.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

what kind of speakers did you go with and what are the sizes?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Actually I finally got around to putting in the aftermarkets tonight. I don't have heat in my garage so I had to wait until now to take advantage of the warm weather. I had a set of 5x7" Alpines laying around the house from one of my last cars, so I put them in for now. They sound better than stock, but not competition grade by any means. My next project will be to put a sub in the trunk, but that will wait for a warm weekend. My eventual plans for the system is 5 1/4" Focal components in the doors and rear deck. I'll make a plate to mount them to the factory 6x8" holes. And an 8" Kicker L7 solo-baric in the trunk for a little bass. I have went through the slower car with amazing bass stage, now I'm a little older and am going for the great sound system with a fast car. The 8" L7 is actually louder than many 10" subs I've had in my day. I would make a good bet that it is even louder than my first sub, a 12" RF Punch series 1.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Wow...you went all out explaining this one..that's why I like this forum. I bet lots of folks out there appreciate this one....[sm=shades.gif]
Old 02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

thanks, I always try to give back since I recieve so much info from sites like this. I couldn't get much info from here when I went to do mine since not many people with 07's had messed with it yet, or had a stereo shop do it for them.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: 07+ Rear Speaker Replacement (and mod)