Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Seibon SS carbon fiber hood pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:25 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Seibon SS carbon fiber hood pics

looks freakin awsome bro.... and I love those flush hood pins, I will be joining you in the rice parade because I will be getting some of those as well....let us know when you get them and do a walk through install.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

I'm not a fan of the carbon fiber look. To me it screams "look at me! I dressed my car up to make everyone think it's a racecar!"

This of course is always answered by people relentlessly defending carbon fiber and stating its obvious advantages over steel or fiberglass (although the stock hood is aluminum). Regardless of any advantage or the racecar heritage, carbon fiber is something commonly found on Civics and the like, and therefore leave a bad taste in my mouth whenever I see it.

In addition to that, the hood looks like an exaggerated Saleen hood, with additional heat extractors (I guess?) in the middle. I prefer the quiet, classy look over flashy.

But if you like it, that's all that matters.
Isn't that the same thing you did with your gt500 clone front-end?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 AM
TX007
2nd Gear Member

Always been a sucker for carbon fiber however I have a dumb question. Any issues with water thru the heat extractor vents?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Actually it's not a dumb question. It's the same question I had during my pre-purchase research.According to Seibon, it's a "functional" hood and they acted like I was stupid for even asking about additional rain/water protection. Like why would I want that, right? [&:]

After researching all the ricer forums, it appears that they also do not care about rain/water getting thru the vents. They look really cool so who cares, right? They also all seemed to agree that the water would not hurt a thing. A few of them mentioned that "your engine gets all wet every time it rains anyway".

Soooo, what I've been doing is fabricating some better rain guards that will attach to the long bolts extending from the two side vents. They attached some bolts/nuts on the underside that extend down approx 2'. I assume they are there for the exact reason of attaching a better rain guard.

I'm also waiting for this hood to stop smelling really bad.[:-] I don't know if it's the fiberglass underside or the carbon fiber upper, but when the engine warms up it really smells BAD. I've never owned a fiberglass or carbon hood, but I assume it's just "break-in" smells and will subside. God, I hope so.... Fortunately it's still hot as hell outside in TX so I keep the windows up, but it's going to cool off soon and I'm going to be rolling with the windows down a lot.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Car looks good.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

like the hood, now just get some more powa to back it up
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

i think it looks good with ur car color and ur wheels but im not a fan of it.........but like other people said if u like it thats all that matters!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

I'm not a fan, but you're the one paying for it... what's most important is that you like it..
Old 09-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The powa is coming soon in the form of a Saleen sc/475 kit. As soon as the odometer trips 10k. I want to at least see that this motor is going to be reliable before killing the warranty off.

My buddy bought an 06' and had a piston pin fail at just around 10k miles. They said it was a "manufacturing defect". Ford put a new engine in it and eventually replaced the entire car under warranty.

Yes, I still purchased a new stang' after hearing this horror story but I'm thinking I'll wait a little while before any major powa mods . In the meantime, I'm slowly building up to that final result while keeping all of my stock parts handy just in case.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Rain doesn't really affect the engine. It is true ur engine gets all wet when you drive and on the dyno we spray water all over the manifold/intake/turbo/intercoolers usually to cool down the engine a tad and get higher HP. Most vents do have a little track for water.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Seibon SS carbon fiber hood pics