Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Interior Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 PM
hofbet32

Default Interior Lighting

I noticed that the new 08's come with the option of an interior lighting kit. Its an LED kit for under the dash and in the cupholder. You can change it to 7 different colors. I am curious if this will fit the 2007 mustangs. Its $270 if you buy it from ford. Would this be difficult to do yourself?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Interior Lighting

.. I'm sure it will fit (same body style).. but the question is: for $270, would you honestly be concerned with little interior lights, or would you rather have better: handling, acceleration, exterior mods, etc..?

If you have your heart set on the little lights, you would probably be better off going and doing them yourself (or get help from a mechanic friend)..

PS.. you can buy little lava lamp cupholders at target for like $14, splice the cord, and sodder a cigarette adapter on it... lol.. that'd be different..
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

BLEH! Don't get those... too expensive anyhow. To help you out though, my friends toyota I had installed some led lights under the dash, the vents, under the seats, in the back and another set in the engine bay. They were pretty easy to setup (the vents sucked getting in and out of there). Since they were LED lights, they had the strips with the option to change color (up to I think 15 variations and custom slider). It was actually pretty neat to look at when it was all setup and done. I wouldn't do it to my mustang though, maybe just change the interior domes to perfect white...

All you need is the proper tools (electrical wiring kit basically) and some patience. LED's are brighter than neons as well, so if you get LED's you might want to see if it comes with some sort of spreader to "blend" the light better off the led's. Some generic kits aren't the greatest and tend to "spotlight" the led's instead of give a nice blend of them like the neon lights do. You don't really need any backing on them to blend them if the lighting is going to be say, under the dash and pretty high up. The lights do this themselves from a distance. Hope this helps somewhat...

Oh, we found the kit as well as most of the goodies (color changer kit, tubes, buttons, wires) all from ebay since that was where he wanted to get everything from. You could get all the wiring stuff from any hardware store like lowes or home depot (even autozone but they are a lil more expensive).

With everything I think it cost around $280 or so. NO he didn't have under car led's [:'(] just interior and engine compartment. I guess that is a pretty cheap price considering everything he got for it.

lmao @ the cupholder :P
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fred Malibu

.. I'm sure it will fit (same body style).. but the question is: for $270, would you honestly be concerned with little interior lights, or would you rather have better: handling, acceleration, exterior mods, etc..?

If you have your heart set on the little lights, you would probably be better off going and doing them yourself (or get help from a mechanic friend)..

PS.. you can buy little lava lamp cupholders at target for like $14, splice the cord, and sodder a cigarette adapter on it... lol.. that'd be different..
Or you can buy a civic and go bat **** crazy with LED's
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

^^ why was I quoted and then referenced with a civic? lol..

I didnt say I have it (I don't..), I just tried to help the OP..
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

[sm=exactly.gif]what I was thinkin'. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

My 08 came with it and I think it gives it a nice touch. Especially the cup holder lights. Makes it a lot easier putting the drink down in the middle of the night.

Also compliments my speedometer and my newly installed welts.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
sushimandan
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmsmith

My 08 came with it and I think it gives it a nice touch. Especially the cup holder lights. Makes it a lot easier putting the drink down in the middle of the night.

Also compliments my speedometer and my newly installed welts.
I have the ambient lighting and it does look good, but hell if I or anyone is going to bring a damn drink in my new car!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 AM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

True True. Haha
Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

I personally call it "mood lighting", if you know what i mean.

The girls who ride with me really like the lights because it causes their shoes to sparkle. Love it.