Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Trying to find classic-style grille

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
optras
2nd Gear Member

Default Trying to find classic-style grille

I'm trying a different approach to the look of my car and I wanted to know if there was a way I could get the "classic" late 60's look grille and I know you're probably saying "why didn't you get the pony package?" Well, at the time I didn't think they really looked that great (fog lights don't really belong there) and I didn't really care for that look at the time. Not to mention, it still doesn't quite look like the old mustang grilles, but it is close. Now, like I said, I'm looking for a more classic look but the only grilles that I can find have mesh in them and I can't stand mesh grilles, no offense to anyone that may have one.

If anyone has found a better looking grille, please let me know. I'm definetely interested, although I know it's a long-shot.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to find classic-style grille

you could paint the mesh part flat, or even gloss black to hide it more.....or i'm goin with a classic 66 shelby look with a horizontal grille

[/align]
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: landon.moss
you could paint the mesh part flat, or even gloss black to hide it more
+1 I was just about to say that.

You wouldn't even notice the mesh if it was black, and the corral and pony would look cooler!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: optras

I'm trying a different approach to the look of my car and I wanted to know if there was a way I could get the "classic" late 60's look grille and I know you're probably saying "why didn't you get the pony package?" Well, at the time I didn't think they really looked that great (fog lights don't really belong there) and I didn't really care for that look at the time. Not to mention, it still doesn't quite look like the old mustang grilles, but it is close. Now, like I said, I'm looking for a more classic look but the only grilles that I can find have mesh in them and I can't stand mesh grilles, no offense to anyone that may have one.

If anyone has found a better looking grille, please let me know. I'm definetely interested, although I know it's a long-shot.

Yes, finally someone who agrees with me! I would've bought that grill a long time ago if it didn't have that mesh there[:'(][:'(][:'(]

I refuse to buy any aftermarket grill until one comes out without that mesh, because thats the look I want.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
tdaddy
2nd Gear Member

So all you want is the t-shaped metal bars and the square around the horse on the stock grill? Hmm... maybe you could take it off an older model and fab it up somehow? Idk just a random idea...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
optras
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies. I guess painting it black is a possibility, but I'm not really sure what kind of paint I'd have to use (acrylic enamel?) I happen to work with metal at my job (machinist/quality assurance) so I guess I could modify something from an original if it were necessary. I just find it slightly hard to believe that nobody makes one already. Oh well, such is life, I guess.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Have you just thought about cutting it out. The frame looks as if it would stay in tact. Just a thought...[sm=smiley21.gif]
Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

i don't see why scuffing it up a lil bit putting on some spray can primer paint and clear wouldn't do the trick...it works WONDERS lol....

you could get it, cut out just the bars and corral and adhere them to a stock grille or a billet replacement grille...don't think you could just cut out the mesh and keep the rest together....plus, what would go behind it??? another thing that could be cool is if you could find just the corral.....and adhere it to your stock grille with your stock pony emblem...so your corral would be floating...kind of a early mustang styling without the cross bars normally associated with the gt fog lamps

[/align]
Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
salu498

I bought the classic grill and installed it without the mesh which is completely separate from the bar, etc. You either use the mesh or not, your choice.See pictures. I really like it.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
salu498

[&o]I'll try again with pictures.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24742/7AFF4EBDF3B84C1EB286E0B4E31AD338.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24742/490FEA8D7B0A434A80D59CD3B6FC8CC6.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Trying to find classic-style grille