Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Racing stripes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Black08gt

Default RE: Racing stripes

Does anyone know the legnth of time the average vinyl racing stripe lasts before any peeling or fade.......I have found a company that does vehicle wraps that can do custom stripes like color match my interior and do ghost flames through the stripes price isabout 15 per square foot figuring about 400-500 installed....problem is that their brochure says they last about 5-6 years. am wondering which way to go?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 AM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

on the roush mustangs how far do the stripes go on the back? i cantsee to find any good pics. Does it stop at the wing or does it hit the back bumper?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Brian76
1st Gear Member

I have a roush and my stripes stop at the bottum of the trunk just above the bumper Just Google racing stripes and find what your looking for if you want the bumpers covered.I think roush uses a 6 or 6.5 wide stripe.I personaly don't like the Roush stripe and I am probably going to replace them with a wider stripe.I also have the full body kit and a cervinis hood so the wider stripes will look good,but if I didn't have all that the 6in stripes would be fine....Just my opinion.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I have done two Eleanors with painted stripes and had one Roush with factory Vinyl. The vinyl bunched under the hood scoop and thevinyl stripes don't have the gloss that painted stripes have. It all depends on your budget. My painted ones were just under 2k
Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

You probably don't know much about this yet but let me explain it.
Nobody paints stripes correctly for 300-400 dollars.
Here is what the job entails:
Remove the rear spoiler
Remove front bumper
Remove back bumper
Wet sand those bumpers to remove clearcoat
Wet sand hood, roof and trunk lid
Tape out the stripes on all the body piecesto exact proportions of stripes
Spray the stripe paint color
Remove tape
Spray several coats of clear
Wet sand all the clearcoat on the body panels you just painted
Re-assemble spoiler and bumpers
Use a semi-orbital buffer to polish all the clear coat

This is approximately 40 hours of labor. If laboourr is 40-60 dollars an hour that makes the labor alone range from 1600 -2400 dolars.
Quality paint and clearcoat is not cheap. If you use PPG paint or House of Kolor paint you could easily spend 500-900 just for the paint materials. For example I had two different pearl highlights added to my paint and a color changing additive that changes the stripe color from dark red to bright red. My paint materials were 650.00 alone. You cant even buy good qualitypaint for this type job for 300-400 dollars. Your gonna tale a new car and add cheap stripes?

So a good set of correctly done stripes would cost 2000-3000 dollars. If you get a deal on the labor you might get them for 1500-2000 but that would be if you got a great deal.
You are absolutely insane if you let anybody just spray white stripes over your paint.

You'd have to be a dumbass to pay anywhere near 3K for a run-of-the-mill stripe job. It would not be as time consuming, nor as expensive for materials as you let on. $650 on materials alone??? Lol, all you need is a quart of paint at most, reducer, sealer, clear coat, and catalyst. If you spen $650 on just that, you got ripped off. It wouldn't cost that much for the entire Dupont Chromabase setup needed to do such a job. Anything fancier than that would be a waste on a daily driven street car. The only way a stripe job should be running you 3 grand is if your using some expensive-*** pearl or Chromalusion....
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustan...pePainter.html
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

You'd have to be a dumbass to pay anywhere near 3K for a run-of-the-mill stripe job. It would not be as time consuming, nor as expensive for materials as you let on. $650 on materials alone??? Lol, all you need is a quart of paint at most, reducer, sealer, clear coat, and catalyst. If you spen $650 on just that, you got ripped off. It wouldn't cost that much for the entire Dupont Chromabase setup needed to do such a job. Anything fancier than that would be a waste on a daily driven street car. The only way a stripe job should be running you 3 grand is if your using some expensive-*** pearl or Chromalusion....

Thanks for your opinion. I am very happy with my stripes. My materials included PPG wineberry, PPG clear, PPG red-to-green flip, PPG tangerine pearl and PPG blue pearl mist. My materials were approximately 650 but thanks for your concern about their cost.
I didnt paint plain black or white stripes.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:51 AM
scg87
5th Gear Member

^ So like I said, your stripe job is obviously not run-of-the-mill. I was more or less implying that if one paid that much for a simple plain-jane stripe job, they were getting ripped off.....
Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I agree 100% that 3K is too much. Plain stripes with clear should be 1400-2200 if you're notmixing custom colors or effects. Also you pay a little more to do it right and have the bumpers removed and the spoiler painted all the way around.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 AM
07Mustang3:73
1st Gear Member

Well, I tossed around the idea of going with paint instead of vinyl. I decided that I would go vinyl after all was said and done because of the price. I do like the final product.

Quick Reply: Racing stripes