Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Paint it black

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint it black

I have a redfire metalic vert, that will be getting a new front bumper and a new hood sometime in the future. I've also got several key marks on the driver side door that will require it to be repainted (some ******* vandalized my car like a month after I bought it) and about a 1" circular dent on the driver side that needs to be filled and painted. I was thinking instead of repainting those pieces red, then paying to have black stripes painted on the car. I would just paint the whole car black (over 1/3 is already being painted, plus the stripes) and have the stripes painted redfire metalic.

I realize it will devalue my car, but I think it would look pretty badass and be pretty unique, and I don't plan to ever sell the thing. Does this sound like a good idea? I saw a black on black vert with torch red stripes the other day that looked really badass.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Paint it black

well I know black is a hard color to repaint because it shows flaws really well...however if the car is pretty new and minimal bodywork is needed, I imagine you'll be ok.

If you're going to repaint though...why not think of something a little more custom?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

well I know black is a hard color to repaint because it shows flaws really well...however if the car is pretty new and minimal bodywork is needed, I imagine you'll be ok.

If you're going to repaint though...why not think of something a little more custom?
Yeh, I was thinking about doing something more custom, but I kinda wanted to keep the stripes redfire metalic, and black is the only color I liked with it, everything else kinda contrasts too much. I'm not 100% set on redfire metalic stripes, though. I'm doing the GT500 conversion, btw.. but I want to wait and see if I can find a KR hood.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

I think you should paint it black on the bottom half and redfire on the top half. That could look pretty sweet.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:49 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

A complete, CORRECT, color change on a car, any car, any color, is very time consuming and expensive.. They have to pull off every panel, paint over ALL the old color (strut towers, etc etc).. Otherwise, you have a black car, then you open the door or the hood or the trunk and see redfire... *bluh*

Your call, but if you want a black car, I'd just trade that one in and get a black car.. It's not like you're TOO heavily modded, you could easily put it back to stock and drop it at a stealership or put it in the paper..
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

A complete, CORRECT, color change on a car, any car, any color, is very time consuming and expensive.. They have to pull off every panel, paint over ALL the old color (strut towers, etc etc).. Otherwise, you have a black car, then you open the door or the hood or the trunk and see redfire... *bluh*

Your call, but if you want a black car, I'd just trade that one in and get a black car.. It's not like you're TOO heavily modded, you could easily put it back to stock and drop it at a stealership or put it in the paper..
I thought about trading it in, I know its weird but I kind of like my exact car. Plus I figured a full paint job would be about $5,000. I'm already going to eat ~$700 in a tradein for my driveshaft, plus the labor of putting the new one on (took me forever to get right, without whine) And by the time I paint it I'll already have gears, TC, and LCAs (going to be installing these over the next 3 months). Realistically it'll be two years until I can do the conversion and paint it, which kind of negates some of the cost of paint, since the hood / bumper have to be painted regardless.

I really like the idea of black with redfire on the top, but I saw a coupe driving around my dads neighborhood where I frequent, with the same paint theme.

I think if I wound up going some combination involving redfire, the engine bay wouldn't need to be painted. Maybe I'll keep it redfire and just go with black side stripes and black racing stripes.

Does anyone know if my estimate of $5,000 for paint is realistic? Less / more? $5,000 is about the most I'll be willing to pay for all the paint.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 PM
steph3k
1st Gear Member

If the hood is going to be black you could leave it and paint the spoiler black. I've seen that red/black combination on these forums and it looks really nice. Repainting a door is not that bad. Faded black stripes on the side might look good with that too.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Could be 5k, could be 10 or 15k too depends on the shop and the quality of the work.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 AM
7106mustangman

i think it would look awesome if you did it two tone style, leave redfire on the bottom at the body break on the top of the doors, then paint the upper half all black, then have the shop throw like 15 gloss coats down on top of it. that would be sweet.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:32 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7106mustangman

i think it would look awesome if you did it two tone style, leave redfire on the bottom at the body break on the top of the doors, then paint the upper half all black, then have the shop throw like 15 gloss coats down on top of it. that would be sweet.
Maybe I'll look into something like that. My dad knows a lot of painters through a friend. I think that would look pretty badass with the vert top being black, too. Anything else up top might clash. I hate making these kinds of decisions, cause I know no matter what I'll love it.

Quick Reply: Paint it black