Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

rear window lovuers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: rear window lovuers?

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

kinda a dumb question but do you all keep the louvers on during winter??
Mines my DD & the louvers have seen 2 winters so far. I don't remove them in the winter. No scratches. The rear window defogger does a great job @ melting snow or ice.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Soonerman

I've had no issues with weather through the winter and we had a severe ice storm this year.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

no ice or snow build up even when driving when it's snowing??

I love the retro look for the summer..just kinda worried that when it's snowing heavily
it may build up on them when driving.I know,I know.I have no business driving the GT
during the winter but I have no other choices.[&:]
Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

The only times I've had snow or ice build up on mine is when it's parked overnight. Have neverhad this happen while driving.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

do they effect visability at all or do the vents angle in a way that keeps things still
pretty clear back there?? pretty sure I will just take them off during the winter..
I might not even use the GT during winter and just use my moms suv,work scedules
permit it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

No visability issues with the metal louvers, can't comment on the plastic ABS ones.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/0BCA30F0E3E54494925EA0EA6071D7B0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

noice!~
I just installed the side and rear window louvers today,really took time into the prep work
on the brackets.

I heated them prior to installtion then let them cool down,then re-heated them a little bit
again to accelerate the curing process once installed.After I was done I put the rear louvers on
and lightly hand tightened them,just enough so they won't fly off as I am driving to work tommorow morning..will re-tighten them again after work,though then I will tighten them enough to make sure that they stay put.That should be enough time,it's about 55 outside so it should be okay.

Did the same with the side louvers,applied them,then heated them,applying some pressure on them to make the adhesive stick better.

Overall the car looks bad ***!! Been hesitating on the installation for about a week now..wish I had put them on sooner! They really make the car look more aggressive and with the stock CS bodykit,side door scoops,rear lower defuser,the CS front lip and hood scoop it really makes the car stand out...all I need now are go fast mods to make it as fast as it looks lol.

Pics to come!!~
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You shouldn't have installed the louver without letting the bracket adhesivecure for 24 hours. The louver will exert stress on the brackets due toits' curvature, attempting to pull the bracketsaway fromthe glass. If I recall, the requirement to allow the adhesive to cure for 24 hours is in bold in the instructions.

EVERY item that I've installed on my Stang that uses the 3M double sided tape states that.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

You shouldn't have installed the louver without letting the bracket adhesivecure for 24 hours. The louver will exert stress on the brackets due toits' curvature, attempting to pull the bracketsaway fromthe glass. If I recall, the requirement to allow the adhesive to cure for 24 hours is in bold in the instructions.

EVERY item that I've installed on my Stang that uses the 3M double sided tape states that.
Damn..this sucks..the adhesive did come off the window!
I thought if I put the louver on though only lightly tightening them it would be okay..I guess not.
[:'(]

About to re-install them tonight.[&:]
Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

okay,well..I think that I did it RIGHT this time lol.

Once again,I stuck them on then heated them to really make it stay then left them on there
WITHOUT the louvers..looks kinda funny with just the brackets but oh well lol.

better safe then sorry..the car really does look that much more aggressive with the louvers on..
kinda a throwback to the whole retro thing it's already got going .

All I need now is that bad *** cervini wing and I am about set..well,that and some side skirts...

Quick Reply: rear window lovuers?