Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

rear window lovuers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: rear window lovuers?

well,the louvers been on now for a few days,we had a surprise snow fall of about 10 inches
overnight and they are holding up real well..

looks bad *** and no complaints on the brackets loosing after having them cure for 24 hours.

...now for that Cervini wing I have been waiting so long for!!~
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Pics!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ah screw it!~

after the snow day they came off again!!!

I am gonna FINALLY do it right this time...re-order some brackets,apply them in a garage,
clean it just right,use a proper addhesive sealent,then leave it for 24 hours in a heated garage-

no questions!~

this is ridiculous,they look awesome but they just won't stick for the life of me!

It's also nearly summer in alaska and it's still snowing!!

the side louvers are sticking pretty well though...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Steath, switch to decaf and take a chill pill. Like everyone has been telling you, you have to properly prepare the surface and let the adhesive cure (without a blow dryer) for AT LEAST the amount of time in the directions and in the proper temperature range in the directions.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What kcmarti said...

I installed mine last week. I've yet to take them on the road because I lost one of the nuts (new hardware pack on it's way), but the louvers have been in-place and solid as a rock. Be sure to use 90% or better alcohol or a solvent from your local auto parts store to strip ALL contaminants off the window.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

ah screw it!~

I am gonna FINALLY do it right this time...re-order some brackets,apply them in a garage,
clean it just right,use a proper addhesive sealent,then leave it for 24 hours in a heated garage-

no questions!~

this is ridiculous,they look awesome but they just won't stick for the life of me!

Alaska!?
You poor soul! I'm transplanted from FL to OH & thought winters are the pits here.
Can't even imagine the extreme in Alaska.
Definatly leave the pads on for 24hrs before hanging those louvers back on. You'll want 70 degrees or so.
I've been following the problems people have had with the Astro-Hammond mounting pads for 1/2yr now.
I've got the MRT/Visus ones myself, NO mount pad issues since Feb. 07 on mine.Of corse, our winters are nothing like you see there.
Best of luck with yours
Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aircare84

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

ah screw it!~

no questions!~

Alaska!?
You poor soul! I'm transplanted from FL to OH & thought winters are the pits here.
Can't even imagine the extreme in Alaska.
Definatly leave the pads on for 24hrs before hanging those louvers back on. You'll want 70 degrees or so.
I've been following the problems people have had with the Astro-Hammond mounting pads for 1/2yr now.
I've got the MRT/Visus ones myself, NO mount pad issues since Feb. 07 on mine.Of corse, our winters are nothing like you see there.
Best of luck with yours

lol

tell me about it..
just last week we had til huge snow storm and I had to leave my car at work for a day or two
til it cleared up.

I think the problem with the louver brackets is that I had to reuse them.I had them flattened,
after taking them off the first time messing up.Reapplyed 3M tape and I heated them while
on the rear window thinking it would speed up the curing process,though I left them on for
24 hours without the louver- the brackets have already been compromised pretty bad,though
with new 3m and flattened they just didn't stick as hard as they first did brand new.

Ordered a new set of brackets and bolts today..this time,it will be installed AND garaged for
24 hours like they are supposed to.

Thinking back,I really should have ordered the aluminum ones.The plastic ones block alot of
the rear view and it's hard to see.