Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Removing Stripes Clean Up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Default Removing Stripes Clean Up?

I Installed a CDC Blackout today and removed my Stripes and had a very hard time getting the glue off Nothing would remove it. I used lighter fluid to remove the 3M tape glue it worked fine but the Stripe Glue is made of some ungodly kind of Glue. The only thing that would remove it was Lacquer Thinner and I had a hard time with that. I was thinking of removing all the stripes and getting them Painted on but after today I would be cleaning the glue off for the next year. I would rather trade it in on a new car LOL. What have you used to remove the stripe Glue? I used Goo be Gone did not work I used Alcohol it did not work I used Gas it did not work I used Lighter fluid but only Lacquer thinner with a lot of rubbing did the trick. Its too dark to take a Pic now but will post a pic tomarrow.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
AMoRT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing Stripes Clean Up?

Dang man, that makes me reconsider getting vinyl stripes. What is the price range of getting them painted as opposed to vinyl?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I would think using Lacquer Thinner would hurt the clear coat on your car. Did you try WD-40? A friend down the street had his truck spray painted by some random passerby, so I told him to spray WD-40 on it and rub it down. It came off, so he was relieved that he didn't have to have the whole truck repainted.
I'm sure if you went to an automotive paint store, they would have something for you to safely remove the sticky residue.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

I would think a heat gun would take them right off.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

It did not hurt the car the finished product was clean with no sign of any damage my soft rag was looked at many times and my thoughts were it getting cover up any way so tried small spots first did not let it set on and wiped it down with Alcohol at the end.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

I just pulled the stripes off and cut them. That was the easy part getting rid of the glue left behind is what I am talking about
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

The autobodyplace that took mine off said they had polish the car to get them off. They came out great.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

3m adhesive remover, no need to polish anything off. Grab a microfiber, spray bottle, load up some of that crap into a bottle, mist it on the glue areas, wipe off. Wash off that area of the car thoroughly when done. You could use a clay bar afterwards to make sure everything is completely gone.

Don't useanythingthat could possibly damage your clearcoat. Generally I avoid using products that aren't meant for that specific job.

Don't use anything but microfiber or some silky smooth towel because it will probably leave some fine scratches on your vehicle where you tried rubbing off the gunk. If you did, let me know, there are ways to get it all fixed up like new too. PM.

Others on here have used goo gone with great success... I work in a viny shop and we use rapid tac products which include rapid remover (works like the 3m adhesive remover for vehicles). It's top notch. You spray it on, wait a couple of seconds and with a bit of water, you can get off every little bit of the gunk with little to no effort at all. They sell the stuff in small bottles as well as by the gallons.

Also as noted by one of the above posts, a heat gun can be used for some removals of striping. However, in some cases it may make the removal much more difficult if you get it too hot to where the vinyl literally tries to go back to a liquid form. If you also heat up, cool down, heat up, cool down etc over long periods of time with high temps of the heat gun, you could risk damaging your paint on your car, or equally as irratating you can dry the vinyl and make it brittle and very hard to remove.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
truckstoy
1st Gear Member

try goo-gone works on all sorts of things and is safe for the car

truck
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Lacquer Thinner?
WTF?