Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

pony corral grilll insert for gt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeeStang
OK, here is a pic of the coral installed after modifing the V6 one...
Any tips on how you did this mod?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

beestang that looks great. so you bought the whole pony grill then detached the corral and bars? or did you have to cut it out with a dremel or something?

i assume you added the fog light bezels then?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ckone0814
beestang that looks great. so you bought the whole pony grill then detached the corral and bars? or did you have to cut it out with a dremel or something?

i assume you added the fog light bezels then?
It's real simple... I bought just the chrome trim piece (don't know the part number, sorry) and then cut off the round fog openings with a hack saw. Once they are removed I placed the trim around the pony and marked where they touched the fog bezel inside edge (I used a peice of masking tape to mark the cut off, I left just a hair for adjustment), then cut of the little pieces of the trim bar and took some sand paper and sanded and dry fitted until it was snug and perfect. Once it was fitted, I went and bought a couple of stainless sheet metal screws and some fender washers (big and round with a small hole) and srcrewed the trim snug from behind using the washers to hold it to the OEM grill (the black grill needs to come off in order to screw it all together). I also painted the washers flat black to match the grill so thay can't be seen. The trim has sort of a v-shaped notch in it (from behind) and the screw will set into it once you start the screw. Just be careful that you don't over tighten the screw and crack the chrome trim. The trim is very light weight and won't take much to hold it in place. Once you get the trim you'll understand what I'm talking about. Also, I would wait until you get the trim so you can see what size screw to use and how long it needs to be once you fit the modified trim to the OEM grill. Again, it will take a little observation to figure it out. I went with just 2 screws, some may want to use 4.

I had the Web electric one and it used some weird fasting system that I thought was odd and wasn't very firm (mine wiggled a little when I installed it on my white 06 coupe. Anyway, PM me if you have any specific questions.
Attached Thumbnails  pony corral grilll insert for gt?-ponycoral-1.jpg  

Last edited by BeeStang; 01-01-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

thanks beestang.

does this look like it?

http://www.directfordparts.com/partl...=3&catalogid=2
Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ckone0814
thanks beestang.

does this look like it?

http://www.directfordparts.com/partl...=3&catalogid=2

That would be it, #3. Not sure what the other parts above are. Maybe the coral for the 04 stang. Good price as well, mine I think cost about $100.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I'm guessing that Webelectric wasn't making any money on the grill. You can buy the V6 one and modify it and attach it with long screws as I did. The V6 grill is about $100 from the dealer and the screws (stainless) from lowes for about $3. I'll see if I can post a few pics later today.
When you invest the money in the tooling to
produce such an item, you offer it for sale
until at least the tooloing and production
costs are paid for. It would be stupid to stop
offering an item for sale after investing all that
time and money into it.

www.mustangsunlimited.com was offering them
for sale not too long ago....
Attached Thumbnails  pony corral grilll insert for gt?-ponygrillinsert.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
When you invest the money in the tooling to
produce such an item, you offer it for sale
until at least the tooloing and production
costs are paid for. It would be stupid to stop
offering an item for sale after investing all that
time and money into it.

www.mustangsunlimited.com was offering them
for sale not too long ago....
So very true, but not in this case. My tooling costs was a hack saw and some sandpaper. I was told that Webelectric was doing just what I did. They purchased the part and then modified it.

When I received my original setup from Webelectric, I noticed that they were cut to size and smoothed with sandpaper (still could see the saw marks on the end of their trim). LOL. I'm thinking the labor and parts costs is what made them decide not to offer them anymore and not tooling. The mod is so simple anyone can do it, and now for less than what Webelectric offered it for. ($78 for the OEM V6 trim if I recall). I was even thinking how to use the small fog light bezels left over. Maybe reverse lights in the lower bumper like the older Stangs, but that would be too much work and not really sure how it would look after doing it.
Attached Thumbnails  pony corral grilll insert for gt?-1969_ford_mustang_fastback_rear.jpg  

Last edited by BeeStang; 01-05-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
GEAUX05GT

I recall reading in a forum (maybe this one, maybe not) WebElectric received a friendly letter from Ford's lawyers because the corral for the pony is trademarked and WebElectric was not a licensed vendor. The details may not be precise, but this was the gist of the story.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GEAUX05GT
I recall reading in a forum (maybe this one, maybe not) WebElectric received a friendly letter from Ford's lawyers because the corral for the pony is trademarked and WebElectric was not a licensed vendor. The details may not be precise, but this was the gist of the story.
Well there you go... Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Well there you go... Makes perfect sense to me.
Actually that makes no sense to me. As long as you were buying the original corral from Ford, then modifying it to fit a GT and reselling it, how would that constitute any sort of infringement? To me would be no different than guys on Ebay selling stock mirrors painted factory body colors or stock GT500 chin spoilers modified to fit GT's. Now if you were making your own corrals from your own mold I can see where that would be an issue because Ford wouldn't be getting their cut.

Quick Reply: pony corral grilll insert for gt?