Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

interior finish peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

Default interior finish peeling off

anyone else had this happen? on the mustang it's around the shifter, the console, and the radio. this also happened to my 03 ranger on the center dash bezel. not sure how to go about fixing this...any help appreciated
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How about some pics?

Are these spots that you touch more often than others? Are you usuing any type of cleaning agaent? My Stang isn't my DD but I have almost 28,000 miles on it and am wondering if I'll be seeing Ford "Quality" anytime soon.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

i'll try and get some pics...not sure if it will show up or not...my 05 has 60K now - the radio buttons/area around there i understand, but on the console/shifter and on the dash insert on my ranger seems weird to me...like they painted black plastic pieces a different shade/texture and it's coming off. also have a large bubble on the chrome ring around one of the center vents
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Jmoss
2nd Gear Member

Ouch! That happened to me on ALL of the buttons by the stereo but I just got a GPS touch screen so that kinda solved the problem... Mine hasn't peeled anywhere close to the shifter tho... They'll probably take all your money but can't a dealership fix that up?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Wow that makes your car look 3x older. I know it won't fix anything, but do you use any kind of surface protectant like armor all, if you do use a certain brand I'll be sure to stay away from it. I've had my car about almost 3 years know and I haven't noticed even a hint of pealing (knock on wood )

Last edited by CBSTANG; 02-23-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

ive never seen it that bad before! your dealer should be able to fix it.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I've got that happening on some of my radio buttons.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Jmoss
2nd Gear Member

I find this so weird because its understandable that the paint would peel (tho it doesn't really peel rather it's scratched off) on the radio buttons seeing your pressing them all the time but why would the paint around the shifter start to peel? It might just be the way I drive but my hand is always on the shifter(I have an auto as well) and never on the area around it...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

exactly...it is all beat to hell on the passenger side of the shifter, where usually nobody sits...kinda frustrates me...it doesn't look that bad in person, but still ticks me off - thought about doing a dash kit and chrome bezel around the shifter eventually anyway, but don't really know that i want to, or even what to get

as far as cleaning, normally i just "dust" the interior - once-in-awhile will use armor all, but rarely, so i don't think it is that - i find it odd that the same thing happened to my pickup, and i rarely cleaned it - plus, normally you aren't touching the dash where it was coming off - it had an aftermarket stereo in it and i've had other aftermarket stereos that i've had for years and none of the finish is rubbed off their buttons....

Quick Reply: interior finish peeling off