Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

pinhead sized rust spots over car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Nope, no smokers here. They're all over the car, too. Behind wheel wells, on doors, on the rear and roof. They don't seem very limited. There is a higher concentration behind wheel wells, though.

You can't really see them from a few feet away but like I said I was washing/waxing the car so I got a good look at the paint.

I wish I had my camera with me to take some pictures. Will have to wait until late this afternoon.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Could be tar or other debris from the road. I detailed cars for a few years and we got some white and silver cars that had a lot of what appeared to be pin sized rust spots. We used bug n' tar remover to get it off, and if that didn't work we clayed it. Turns out it was just tar/debris not rust.

Edit: Strange to find them on the roof, park under any oak trees?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
jeff08vistagtcs

Default Pin hole size rust.....

What you have is very small pieces of brake dust on your car. They are very hot pieces of the brake pads (dust) that come off the brakes. You will typically see them more on the back bumper and horizonal surfaces. The reason you see it more then other people is because your car is silver. It is much easier to see on the light color cars. Walk around and look at any white car and you will see them. They do come off with the clay bar. I have a white Volvo and every spring I have to clay the car to get them off. No worries!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

We get that on our cars man. On plastic too. So I know its not rust. My neighbors also get them. Hard to see so its not a problem. It cleans off, but its a PITA.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Darn, that stinks. This is my first light colored car so I guess its new. My gf drives simliar routes to me and is in a very similar environment (my own mostly) and has a white car. I'll have to take a look to see if she has them as she doesn't think she does. Either way I'll see if i can get a pic up for confirmation.

Was there a TSB out from Ford in 06 about this stuff in relation to their paint quality? Or would that not even matter?

On a side note, there is definitely one piece of rust on the car just above the windshield (I'd guess a stone from the highway). What is the recommended way to clear that up?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

So as I said before the clay bar (try clay magic or Meguiars clay bar-not the white one) and it will remove the spots....the longer you wait the worse it can damage the paint.....brake dust rail dust or ashes doesn't matter get the bar and get er done!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

I just wanna make sure thats the problem

Pics attached (includes scratch I saw)
Attached Thumbnails pinhead sized rust spots over car-dsc_0948.jpg   pinhead sized rust spots over car-dsc_0955.jpg   pinhead sized rust spots over car-dsc_0956.jpg  
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

pic 1&3 brake-rail dust,pic 2 touch -up and clear,after using a rubbing compound to get the rust off the spot.clay bar will work but if you have a lot of spot's on the car you may want a pro to buff and glaze the car first.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

bodyman is right. 1 & 3 are rail dust. The first thing I do on any new car is clay it. It should take it off pretty easily. The 2nd pic is just a common rock chip.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
I'll bet it is rail dust or other industrial fallout that can be removed with a good clay bar. I get that from time to time on my DD and it is because if you live within 5 miles of a railroad track or manufacturer that has a railroad track for delivery of parts etc. you get this dust which oxidizes in your paint and causes rust spots similar to what your describing...... Get a clay bar!
We got word that it was also the little bits of snowplow blades that grind off in use, same as rail dust i guess...

Quick Reply: pinhead sized rust spots over car