Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Matte Black Hood Pins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Bails
2nd Gear Member

Default Matte Black Hood Pins?

So I haven't had problems with my hood shaking for over year, but recently I've noticed some bad shaking. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the no logo Shelby pins but I'm thinking of painting them matte black to go with my stripes. Do ya'll think that will look good or should I just keep them as is?

Also I went through about 10 pages searching hood pins and I didn't see any pictures of my hood with pins. Anybody have pictures of pins in this hood because I'm not sure exactly where to position the pins? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bails
So I haven't had problems with my hood shaking for over year, but recently I've noticed some bad shaking. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the no logo Shelby pins but I'm thinking of painting them matte black to go with my stripes. Do ya'll think that will look good or should I just keep them as is?

Also I went through about 10 pages searching hood pins and I didn't see any pictures of my hood with pins. Anybody have pictures of pins in this hood because I'm not sure exactly where to position the pins? Thanks.
I don't have a picture, however if you put them to the side rather then the middle it would look pretty good.

Heres a link to a black pin set. IMHO, I like the regular ones better.

http://www.mossmuscle.com/Shop/ViewP...61&SortOrder=3
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

One option you can look into is buying some generic hood pins and powder coating them black. Why pay the 65-85 for shelby pins?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've seen more than one person refer to the Shelby hood pins as "garbage". I know many people have them and like them however. I'll be installing a set of Spectre pins this weekend. They are stainless steel and won't rust, and were $12. I bought mine at Pep Boys.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294868663

You could easily just scuff those up with a red 3M pad and spray em with a can of flat black paint for $4. The lanyards can be had for $5 if you want them. IMO the price of the Shelby pins is ridiculous. Here is a thread about the Spectre pins too:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...0-updated.html
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I have those hood pins and I like them. You can find better, but how much are you willing to spend?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Bails
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I've seen more than one person refer to the Shelby hood pins as "garbage". I know many people have them and like them however. I'll be installing a set of Spectre pins this weekend. They are stainless steel and won't rust, and were $12. I bought mine at Pep Boys.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294868663

You could easily just scuff those up with a red 3M pad and spray em with a can of flat black paint for $4. The lanyards can be had for $5 if you want them. IMO the price of the Shelby pins is ridiculous. Here is a thread about the Spectre pins too:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...0-updated.html
I was looking into the Spectre pins because I've read through that thread before. I pm'ed Boozshey to see how his have held up and he hasn't gotten back to me. The price of the Shelby pins doesn't really bother me because I'd rather pay a little more and do things right. But if the Spectre pins are legit then it would be nice to save some cash and be able to go pick up the pins tomorrow and get started.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 AM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

Don't get the shelby pins... Mine turned bronze in some spots and I sprayed mine with primer/flat black paint. Going to get them powder coated when I get the chance
Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I was planning on getting the non-labeled "shelby" pins, IE same design without the name on them.

Are you guys saying those are garbage? I liked them since the kit looked real complete, and I dont want chrome, so i liked the matte finish.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bails
I was looking into the Spectre pins because I've read through that thread before. I pm'ed Boozshey to see how his have held up and he hasn't gotten back to me. The price of the Shelby pins doesn't really bother me because I'd rather pay a little more and do things right. But if the Spectre pins are legit then it would be nice to save some cash and be able to go pick up the pins tomorrow and get started.
They look fine to me. The package says right on the front that they won't rust out, for what it's worth. They appear to be of decent quality, and the lanyards are nice too. When you really think about the components of a hood pin kit, we're talking a couple of bolts, a couple of nuts, a couple of little pins, and a couple of scuff plates. That is why I felt the Shelby ones were a ripoff, and then when researching them I discovered that a few people were saying theirs were junk. Mikey says his turned bronze, and another guy was complaining about rust. I'd got several grand into the car, so an extra $60 doesn't matter anymore, however I also don't want to just throw money away. I bought the pin kit and the lanyards for < $20 from Pep Boys.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Had some hood movement going on and decided to be safe and not have my hood depart at 100 mph. I bought the Shelby hood pins in black they have the logo but I just went ahead and painted them flat black so they match my stripes.

Quick Reply: Matte Black Hood Pins?