Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Question on hood upgrades...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on hood upgrades...help!!!

Hey Guys, I'm still researching what I'm looking to do to my car. I believe I've settled on the gt500 conversion instead of a body kit. I will be doing this in stages. I was thinking of getting the most expensive part out of the way & I'm thinking that would be the hood.

I'm looking at Trufiber hoods and have a couple questions. What's the difference between the GTSIII hood and the Venom hood? Other than subtle differences in the lines and scoops they basically look the same from a distance. Does the Venom hood fit all Mustangs or just the GT500? If I get the Venom hood as the first purchase can I have it installed on my V6? Do the hoods have built in drainage for water like the Shelby hood? The price difference is not much so if they don't have the drainage I'll just get the Shelby hood. Has anyone had that hood installed?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

The Venom hood is specifically for the GT500 front end, the GTSIII hood will fit both the GT & GT500 front end. From a distance they may look similar, but up close they are difference (ie: body lines, ram air scoop area, heat extractor area, etc..)

here's my Trufiber Venom Hood

Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

I see, so the Venom hood is a GT500 hood only and the GTS3 will fit all Mustangs. What happens when it rains or you wash your car? I have seen the underside of the Shelby hood and I know the ram air is functional and so are the heat extractors in rain, snow or whatever and the difference in price is maybe $200. My car is a DD that spends half it's life in my job's parking garage and the other parked in my community's parking lot.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I know people that have these hoods (Venom & GTSIII) on their daily driven cars and have no problems what-so-ever when it rains or storms...whether they're driving in it or the car is just sitting.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I gotcha. I researched a little more and found out that there are attachments that can be screwed on under the vents to prevent water seeping in. Do these attachments make the vents non-functional?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

05 Redfire GT, so if I decide to go with the GT500 front end I would still be able to use the hood I have on my GT now? (Trufiber GTS3) Sorry to Hijack... just want to be sure Im reading the post correctly. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
05 Redfire GT, so if I decide to go with the GT500 front end I would still be able to use the hood I have on my GT now? (Trufiber GTS3) Sorry to Hijack... just want to be sure Im reading the post correctly. Thanks!

Yes, the current hood you had in your sig pic "will" work on a GT500 front end conversion
Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Ok, I gotcha. I researched a little more and found out that there are attachments that can be screwed on under the vents to prevent water seeping in. Do these attachments make the vents non-functional?
I saw something similar to what you're describing on another forum (themustangsource.com), but don't really know anything about it. As far as obstructing the vents, it just depends on the design of the "attachment" you are talking about. The one that I saw did, because of the design...but it worked well for what is was designed for, and that was to drain water that came in through the vents instead of getting on the motor, but it completely blocked the vents from underneath.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
not a problem ICIBUY....as Cutter said, yes it will work just fine..
Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I saw something similar to what you're describing on another forum (themustangsource.com), but don't really know anything about it. As far as obstructing the vents, it just depends on the design of the "attachment" you are talking about. The one that I saw did, because of the design...but it worked well for what is was designed for, and that was to drain water that came in through the vents instead of getting on the motor, but it completely blocked the vents from underneath.
I'm going to chime in on this question too. You do not have to worry one bit about water coming threw the vents. It "will not" damage your engine or cause you any issues what so ever.

Quick Reply: Question on hood upgrades...help!!!