Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Tinting the break lights with store tint film.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I have not tried the tint yet.

How did you go about doing it? Did you try to tint the WHOLE break light or did you try doing it in three different sections for each light?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
I have not tried the tint yet.

How did you go about doing it? Did you try to tint the WHOLE break light or did you try doing it in three different sections for each light?
I tried three different sections. I couldn't get a good bond between the light and tint itself. After I got a piece on I let it sit in the sun light for a while (hit 90 degrees yesterday) and when I went out later the corners were already coming up...I got frustrated and removed the lights to preps for the VHT Niteshade. I sanded them with 2000 grit and then sprayed a thin first coat. Let that sit for about 20-30 minutes and then sprayed a second (where I should have stopped) but I didn't get sprayed a 3rd and now the lights are a little dark for my taste. Believe I'm going to try and wet sand them today after work and see if it will lighten them up some, otherwise might bring out the paint thinner and rag and scrub away or either try to sell them to someone in the local mustang club around town.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

How do you remove the rear marking lights on the sides of the rear bumper? I got to spray those and the front parking lights today also, and want to know how to get them out before I'm underneath the car. If I didn't get on mustangforums last night I wouldn't have been able to get the 3rd brake light out!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I haven't tried the VHT yet so I cant help you on the removal. I'd check the How To section on the forum.

As for your bond problem with the tint film before you did the VHT... did you put dishwasher soap on the tint (spray it) to make it stick better or did you just put the tint on without anything else?

Oh and how did the FIT itself work out before the bond problem?
Did cut a size that was close to the sections then finish it with a exacto while it was ON the car or what?

Did you put the tint just on the part of the three sections where the sections were sticking out and then curve it around the corner of each section or did you go over the actual outline that is NOT part of the actual light section sticking out?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

I haven't tried the VHT yet so I cant help you on the removal. I'd check the How To section on the forum.

As for your bond problem with the tint film before you did the VHT... did you put dishwasher soap on the tint (spray it) to make it stick better or did you just put the tint on without anything else?

Oh and how did the FIT itself work out before the bond problem?
Did cut a size that was close to the sections then finish it with a exacto while it was ON the car or what?

Did you put the tint just on the part of the three sections where the sections were sticking out and then curve it around the corner of each section or did you go over the actual outline that is NOT part of the actual light section sticking out?
I cut a piece of tint bigger than one of the three sections. I sprayed tint film with some solutions I got from the auto parts store made by black magic. After the film was on the car for a little while, I cut out the light shape with razor blade. To me the Niteshade spray was much easier...Two coats of the niteshade and I would have been set but when I did that 3rd it got a little dark, so hopefully it was lighten up some after some wet sanding.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

I think I may experiment with the tint today.. I'll post up tonight if it isn't an epic fail
Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by TypeS
I think I may experiment with the tint today.. I'll post up tonight if it isn't an epic fail

VHT or tint film?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

VHT or tint film?
Tint film
Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Quick Pic from Cell...

Like I said they are a little too dark for my taste but going to work on that tonight by doing some wet sanding, and maybe starting from scratch if I can't get the look I'm going for with paint thinner!
Attached Thumbnails Tinting the break lights with store tint film.-newtail.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 PM
DanDaMan86

That Sounds like an awful alot of work! I made things easier on myself and bout a set of precut smoked tint for my car, it took all of 10 minutes start to finish.

Quick Reply: Tinting the break lights with store tint film.