Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Interest In Dry Carbon Fiber Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 AM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Here is difference of Dry and Wet carbon fiber for anyone that doesn't know from Seibon site.

Q. What are the pros and cons between "dry carbon" and "wet carbon" ?
A. Dry vs. wet involves completely different processes of manufacturing. You can find extensive articles about the details on the web if you do a general search. As for pros and cons, here is a brief summary: Simply put, with dry carbon, you get the most strength and save the most weight. The weaves and quality are more consistent, but they are generally 3 to 4 times more expensive than wet carbon. Wet carbon products are hand-laid, and are more prone to small defects like wavy weaves and tiny bubbles. They do not save as much weight as their dry carbon counterparts. But on the plus side, you get an incredible combination of visual attraction, weight-deduction, and most importantly, price. All products you see on our website are wet carbon. Wet carbon products are also the most popular and most commonly referred to as just "carbon fiber".

Seibon and similar companies are offering wet carbon so basically CF look but none of the real benefits, Real 100% CF while expensive has great benefits much lighter and stronger.

mygt500 sent you PM won't be selling anything without clearing all that up
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thanks you sir and rec'd both of them! replied!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Hey guy just wanna give this thread a bump please give us your thought on price and interest.

mygt500 about how long does it take to get reply to become a sponsor.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Won't the dry carbon fiber warp faster than the wet carbon fiber?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Won't the dry carbon fiber warp faster than the wet carbon fiber?
Unprotected CF like those used in racing does not require long term durability so it is does warp faster, we add a clear coat to our product to protect it from warping since this is a consumer product. Dry carbon fiber is for function so people who just want looks are better going for wet carbon products we will have as those will have better long term durability. To give you an idea our dry carbon hood takes a week to build and ship so it is very time intensive and not for the everyday tuner and more for the serious racer.

Again Dry and Wet CF serve two totally different purposes.

Wet for looks
Dry for function

We will carry both so we can cater to all markets and we will offer best price around.

Last edited by ahddm; 06-25-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:45 PM
5150PONY
2nd Gear Member

Takes a week to make a hood....That gonna b expensive....
Just wondering the cost for a 2 inch cowl induction..
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

It takes a few days for a response. Contact Ride of the Month and let him know and he can get you moving. Let me know what happens
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
Takes a week to make a hood....That gonna b expensive....
Just wondering the cost for a 2 inch cowl induction..
We will keep it under the cost of the Roush hood since it is only real competitor on the market, a 2 inch cowl would be considered a custom job since we would be making a new mould, but if we can get a few interested parties lined up we can get cost down for you.

mygt500: I'll give it a few days if no response I'll send him a PM
Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Thank you ahddm for clearing that up. For a second I thought I would have to return the CF that I have in storage lol.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
ahddm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Thank you ahddm for clearing that up. For a second I thought I would have to return the CF that I have in storage lol.
No problem I don't want to mislead someone into buying the wrong product, we have decided a price for wet carbon hood which will be $450-500 shipped most probably, if you can find a better price let me know and we'll try our best to match it.

Quick Reply: Interest In Dry Carbon Fiber Hood