Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

expensive mistake

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by warnen
I ordered a painted hood scoop and really didn't care for it so I put it in my garage with the intent to eBay it later.

A week goes by and my brother and I hanging out and thought it might be a good idea to try and install it. The case of beer agreed with us so we had at it. A few hours later we were done 6 holes drilled in my hood and the hood scoop installed.

Next morning I wake up head out side and notice it was totally off center and looked like crap. Took it down to a body shop and it would have cost over $1000 to weld the holes and repaint so I just bought the Cervini's Concept hood and called it a day. In the end it cost me about $2000 (counting the ruined hood scoop).

Don't drink and mod.
Lol.

FYI, our stock hoods are now retailing for $1270!!
More expensive than the original KR.
So yeah, try not to screw your hood up...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

I havnt scrape my rims yet but I did on I girlfriends 350z the 1st time i drove it. I think since then she has scraped everyone of them. I figure once she gets it out i her system I"ll get her a new set.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
doubleB

i got one for you....pick up my new 2010 gt500 on the july 1st, curbed the the rear tire on on the 4th. Im a dumb @@S! No damage , that god, just some very light scuffs on the tire.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

I ordered a painted hood scoop and really didn't care for it so I put it in my garage with the intent to eBay it later.

A week goes by and my brother and I hanging out and thought it might be a good idea to try and install it. The case of beer agreed with us so we had at it. A few hours later we were done 6 holes drilled in my hood and the hood scoop installed.

Next morning I wake up head out side and notice it was totally off center and looked like crap. Took it down to a body shop and it would have cost over $1000 to weld the holes and repaint so I just bought the Cervini's Concept hood and called it a day. In the end it cost me about $2000 (counting the ruined hood scoop).

Don't drink and mod.
Ouch!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Don't drink and mod.
on my first attempt at installing a set of rear window louvers, I was peeling off the 3m tape backing off one of the 2x5 inch brackets and as I was peeling off the film with my right hand, I pulled too hard and the bracket flew out of my hand and landed smack dab on the center of the rear window. It was on there for only a second but it stuck like cement.

(O_o)?!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Don't drink and mod.
I though this story was going to end with "it was on backwards..."

Yea, the Hardies or Carls JR drive thru is painfully narrow
and one of my 17" OEM bullitts got the rash on the rear.
Other than that, the new polished 18s have not a sign
of rash. Knock on wood.
I was getting overspray off of my windshield with joy
soap and a razor blade. I now have minute scratches
in the windshield that can be seen in the sunlight.
I have since found plastic razor blades for the purpose.
And the chin spoiler on the new Challenger took a hit
the other day. Its lower than the stangs and I was
not used to it.

Last edited by 157dB; 07-10-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
flobeelicious

i got a 530 dollar speeding ticket in the second week i had my 09 gt.

well, 530 for the ticket, 524 for the lawyer, 50 for the driver improvement course, 24 hours of community service....
Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 AM
teedub
1st Gear Member

I really hated the look of the GT emblem on the front fenders and wanted to take them off. I asked a buddy who used to own a body shop if there would be pilot holes in the fenders if I took them off. He said no they install the emblems and only use two sided tape. So I take a heat gun and remove the emblem and sure enough there were two small pilot holes. Now we had some body work to do so we took the door handles off, the emblem on the deck lid as well as the lock. And to top it off we ghosted some flames on the hood. All because of four 1/4" holes.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

^hey how about some pics?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Um..yeah..all that work and you didn't post a pic!! Talk about a tease

Quick Reply: expensive mistake