Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

expensive mistake

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
squirrel502

Default expensive mistake

So yesterday while grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds yesterday, I did the unimaginable. I rubbed my rear tire on the curb of the drive through.

So after getting back to work I noticed that the rim wasnt scratched....it was gouged in several locations and a chunk of metal was missing. /sigh Brand new Boss 336 20" rims...and well yah. So I called up the shop and ordered a replacement "there goes $265".

So, any of you guys ever make a similar mistake or worse? Inquireing minds want to know.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by squirrel502
So yesterday while grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds yesterday, I did the unimaginable. I rubbed my rear tire on the curb of the drive through.

So after getting back to work I noticed that the rim wasnt scratched....it was gouged in several locations and a chunk of metal was missing. /sigh Brand new Boss 336 20" rims...and well yah. So I called up the shop and ordered a replacement "there goes $265".

So, any of you guys ever make a similar mistake or worse? Inquireing minds want to know.
I didnt' think I'd ever admit this but you seem like you are in pain so I will.

I had just got my replica Magnums a couple of weeks prior. I drove to my kid's new house to pick her up for church and did the exact same thing against her curb. Its ugly, but I will probably get it fixed by wheel rapair folks and not buy a whole new rim. It gouged it pretty durn good too.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Jmoss
2nd Gear Member

I just got new wheels and tires in Feb and I have done the same thing but not as severe... I freak out when I hear that horrible sound of the rim scratching against the curb ... Now I take my sweet a$$ time parking so that I don't scratch em up...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

I ordered a painted hood scoop and really didn't care for it so I put it in my garage with the intent to eBay it later.

A week goes by and my brother and I hanging out and thought it might be a good idea to try and install it. The case of beer agreed with us so we had at it. A few hours later we were done 6 holes drilled in my hood and the hood scoop installed.

Next morning I wake up head out side and notice it was totally off center and looked like crap. Took it down to a body shop and it would have cost over $1000 to weld the holes and repaint so I just bought the Cervini's Concept hood and called it a day. In the end it cost me about $2000 (counting the ruined hood scoop).

Don't drink and mod.

Last edited by warnen; 07-09-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I dinged 1 of my Snew VT GT500 wheels on a curb. But you don't notice it unless you look at it close-up.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Picked up my car and drove it back to Dallas from Houston. Made it 3 miles from the house and decided to hit the drive through for a coffee. Not used to the car I turned in early and jacked up my Foose rims. I can still here the sound of the metal grinding on the curb. Oh well at least I looked cool doing it.

I sold the rims but I will never forget the first damage I cause to her.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by warnen
I ordered a painted hood scoop and really didn't care for it so I put it in my garage with the intent to eBay it later.

A week goes by and my brother and I hanging out and thought it might be a good idea to try and install it. The case of beer agreed with us so we had at it. A few hours later we were done 6 holes drilled in my hood and the hood scoop installed.

Next morning I wake up head out side and notice it was totally off center and looked like crap. Took it down to a body shop and it would have cost over $1000 to weld the holes and repaint so I just bought the Cervini's Concept hood and called it a day. In the end it cost me about $2000 (counting the ruined hood scoop).

Don't drink and mod.

We have a winner. Wow. NEVER drink and mod. Isn't that in a rulebook somewhere. Yikes!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

I grinded a curb with a Cervini side skirt.. Its fixed now but doesnt fit as well as it did.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver

We have a winner. Wow. NEVER drink and mod. Isn't that in a rulebook somewhere. Yikes!
I got my brother to chip in some money by threating to drill his mini cooper s's hood
Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

^haha nice. I'm glad you got an awesome hood out of it though

Quick Reply: expensive mistake