Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:08 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default I need help!

Well, here's my situation, my best friend from out of town is coming to stay with us for a week or two, and I wanted to have the pony looking great for him, so I bought some wash, wax, and a clay bar kit, all from meguiars. My problem is, I live in Texas, and it's hot as hell here for most of the day. I washed it with Meguairs' gold class yesterday, used the two-bucket method, dried it, and I lost daylight so I couldn't continue. Only problem is, when I was supposed to clay it this morning, it's covered with a few sun spots and random dust particles, and I guess I have to wash it again, huh? I just have a few questions.

When washing it, HOW THE HELL DO I DRY IT? My one dry microfiber mit certainly doesn't do the job.

Second, I need some advice on the whole process, washing, claying, waxing, if anyone can help that'd be much appreciated.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

I did mine about a month ago and this is was i did

Took each wheel off and cleaned the insides of the wheel and wheel well. Its a little bit more work, but WAY worth it when your done to have clean wheels esp the inside thats hard to get to w/o taking the wheels off

Washed twice w/o drying the car under shade the whole time

Blew the car off with a leaf blower and towel tried what was left, works way better and faster

Clayed the car small sections at a time

Washed and dried again

Hit the bad areas with some running compound

Sealed the car with some black paint sealer my grandpop had

waxed with yellow tech wax ( i think what its called)

Took me 2 days, day one was wheels it took about 4 hours to do because they must have never been taken off and cleaned. Alot of grime on the inside but was worth it. Day two was the car it took me about 10 hours, I was taking my time and in no rush.

I used some old car soap i had i wanted to use up and a genuine lambs wool mit with the 2BM to wash the car. I used small cotton towels to apply wax,sealer and compound. Finish buffing i used microfiber cloths.

Water still beads off the car even when its dirty and just a wash and dry and it looks great all over again.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
millpond
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilasX93

When washing it, HOW THE HELL DO I DRY IT? My one dry microfiber mit certainly doesn't do the job.
Buy a dozen microfiber towels. I got mine at Costco for a reasonable price...they should be available at several places
Old 07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
war machine 115
2nd Gear Member

I like my California Water Blade as well as microfiber towels for drying.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

1. Wash the car using Dawn or Joy dishwashing soap
This will strip the wax off the paint
2. Dry using a Squeegie or microfiber
3. Lightly run your hand over the surface of the car
if you feel a "grit", then you need to claybar

if it is nice and smooth...no need to claybar
4. To Clay Bar
You need the clay...and most times it comes with a spray bottle of some stuff specifically for Clay

Work in small 1x1 ft squares. It takes a while
wet the area lightly to be clayed with the spray, then LIGHTLY run the Claybar over the paint...similar to a Pencil Eraser. You may have to occasionally knead the clay.

If it appears dirty, knead it until the dirt is worked into the interior, and fresh clay is showing

Clay is amazing stuff. With just LIGHT HAND PRESSURE you will remove 99% of the that "grit" feeling
after you do a section, do the touch test again. Should be smooth as a babies butt
5. Get a good Paint Sealant/Preservant.
Meguirs actually has a 3 step process. I suggest you grab that up as well. It almost negates the need to clay bar.

The 2nd step is a Paint Deepener...looks awesome, and you can tell instantly which areas have been treated
6. WAX
just follow the directions.

I'm lazy, so I usually only do 1 coat...but I also do a full detail more often than most people...so I can get away with just that

at no point should you ever just wash the car and let it "AIR DRY"...then you get Water Spots. Damn things are a major PITA to remove. I finally found a product that works, but it is super corrosive.

The stuff above is just a tiny tiny list. You should see what some guys do...wow
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

I herd bad things about the water blades if there is still grit on the car. The idea that your rubbing what ever was left behind from washing in to you paint your trying to make look new just doesn't seem like a good idea. I also i have black so maybe it just a bad thing to use if your black. But i wont use one but thats just me
Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

good points about the water blade

My Expedition is black...and I'm trying to avoid the damn swirls

but to be honest, if you do a good job washing and keep up with the paint, a Wiper Blade will never do that sort of damage to your paint.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Buy a Mr. Clean Autodry System.

Cost about 20 something bucks.
When I bought mine they were close to 50 and I did it thinking it was gonna turn out to be a sham, but it was'nt.

It has a built in water filter and you can rinse the car off after washing and NOT HAVE TO DRY IT. I have a black car....the hardest to get dry without spots/swirls, and two words.
IT WORKS.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
Buy a Mr. Clean Autodry System.

Cost about 20 something bucks.
When I bought mine they were close to 50 and I did it thinking it was gonna turn out to be a sham, but it was'nt.

It has a built in water filter and you can rinse the car off after washing and NOT HAVE TO DRY IT. I have a black car....the hardest to get dry without spots/swirls, and two words.
IT WORKS.
+1 on the auto dry.
I never used it on my mustang but when i had my blazer it did exactly what i was intended to do. Just when using the auto dry setting do your best to displace the "dirty/unfiltered" water with the "clean water" for it to work the best. I got about 3 car washes out of one filter but again it was my blazer, so im sure id get more out of it with my mustang since its a little smaller
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

My buddy and I dry our cars with an old chamois towel he has, works fast and easy