Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Longaly

I'm getting ready to do this to my new to me 2005 GT. The previous owner had tried to glue the panels in place but they have begun to droop again. I decided to remove the door panels and do the repair on my bench in the basement.

I am starting with the passenger side first and had to remove the old glue with an acetone soaked rag. What a mess! Little ***** of gooey glue everywhere, but I finally was able to get it all removed. I'll repost after I attempt to reapply the panel.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Throw some completion pics up :-)
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Longaly

Finally finished the door panels. I'm usually a good DIY'er but this was a pain because I had to deal with glue from the previous owner's attempt and a stretched driver's side panel.

They aren't perfect, but they are much better than they were. I actually had to cut out an inch or so of the driver's side panel at the rear narrow strip to get it to fit, so I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. Sorry, the lighting isn't the best in the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**-drivers_side_small.jpg   Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**-passenger_small.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Longaly

By the way, this 50 posts before you can see pictures is a bit much.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Sparta
1st Gear Member

Sup guys. I know this thread has been around for a while but I just wanted to drop in and say that I tried this last night. I'll post some pics later today but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I just hope it holds up. I also just wanted to say thanks to the OP for writing this up.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Anytime...post em up
Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Sparta
1st Gear Member

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

I added the welt after I was done. A couple of things I have to say about the process. 1st is I would recommend using a couple of cheap paint brushes to apply the glue. I tried the foam brushes but it was falling apart before I even finished the first panel. 2nd thing is after I was done I was really worried that I didn't do a good job. The leather felt heavy and I could see ripples and bubbles. Don't worry because after the glue has enough time to set those will go away.

Overall I'm very happy with the end result!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 AM
CaptainComet

That welting looks great, especially matching the exterior color. Where did you get it? .... is it pretty much standard stuff from an upholstery shop?

I have had a couple of issues with the edges staying tacked down on mine over time. The bulk of my repair has stayed good, but this idea might help.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Sparta
1st Gear Member

I bought it on eBay for 12$. Just search for Mustang door welt kit.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 AM
carsong

Default Door panel fix

My gosh! Thank you so much for this fix. I have been going crazy trying different ways to fix my door panels. Your explanation and the photos are fantastic! I can't wait to get this project started. I also live in Florida. This happen my brother's Mustang, as well. He took it to an auto interior guy, and had his fixed. It sounds like they did exactly the same thing that you explain. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money. For what, $11.00 and a little time? I can do this. Thanks again for the great tutorial. the photos are really a great help, too.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**