Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Painting Chrome Foose Nitrous Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Lakers1
2nd Gear Member

Default Painting Chrome Foose Nitrous Wheels

I currently have Chrome Foose Nitrous Wheels which I got when I first purchased my 08 GT. Over time I've started to blackout my stang. I want to add black to my wheels but I want to leave some chrome. I'm planning to paint everything black and leave the lip chrome. Does this sound like the best option? I'm not sure if I should leave the lug nuts as is, or the center cap the way it is. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! Heres a pic of the wheels:
Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

In my opinion, a blacked out stang with chrome wheels looks pretty good.

Post some whole pics.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Shouldnt be too hard just need to prep it right. Here is what one guide said:

Painting chrome is no big deal.. ruff it up by lightly sandblasting and then use a zinc phosphate primer.. Dupont makes a good one. #615s and 616s.. it's a two part mix. Then use your preferred primer. I use strictly urethane.. the paint won't come off.. and there you have it!

If the chrome is pitted you need to remove it before painting. If it's pitted baddly enough, sandblasting will work. You can also dip it acid... muriatic or sulfuric acid will do... but you have to be very careful when doing this. The acid will work on the metal so you have to watch it closely.. not to mention the safety hazards.. you need to work in a well ventilated area and wear protective clothing, a vapor mask and goggles... Don't use acid on chromed aluminum! The acid will eat the aluminum faster than the chrome (and you won't have anything left! ). Once the chrome is stripped, you prep the metal to paint just as you would any other bare metal and prime with your favorite primers. I recommend a zinc phosphate type primer to etch the metal and give you corrosion protection. Once again, Dupont makes a good one.. #615S and #616S. It's a two part mix.
As far as what to paint goes I would paint everything but the lip. Its nice to have them stick out a litte.

Last edited by avengence; 08-18-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion, you are crazy to paint those, they are great as is.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Aren't there black nitrous wheels with a chrome lip? Just sell yours and get those, Chrome always cost more, so you might be able the get them and break even.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Id look for a washable/waterbased paint and do it like that just to see if it will look good.
If so, then paint it. If not, rinse it off and your good.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Lakers1
2nd Gear Member

I like the chrome wheels but I thought painting them black and leaving the lip chrome would match better with the rest of my blackout mods.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

+1 to don't mess up some nice chrome! I do like the suggestion of trying some washable paint; do one wheel and wash it off.

To properly get the paint to adhere, you'll likely need to rough-up the surface, and that would ruin the mirror shine. That can't be undone.

But it's your wheels, your choice
Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 AM
zimmyzoom

I have 20" chip Foose rims also and it's goona be hard to paint those things, I couldn't imagine touching mine!!! But if you do just leave the lip chrome, If you go look around, the nitrous wheels come with the center blacked out too, maybe you wanna look at them and get some ideas?? I think the look you are going for is good.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

seen it done.... some look good, some not so.... takes a lot of time and patience.... I have been dealing with Foose wheels for a while, and I know those cost a pretty penny.... I have seen your car up close and its a killer combo.... I have seen the black wheels with a chrome lip and those too look good.... I would try and flip a deal for what you are looking for....

Quick Reply: Painting Chrome Foose Nitrous Wheels