Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Those of you who have painted parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 AM
phatcat
1st Gear Member

Default Those of you who have painted parts, UPDATED PICS OF CAR!

I bought a steeda hood, gt 500 spoiler and classic lip. The paineter at the shop says that he might have to blend the fenders with the hood because the hood is fiber glass. He says that if he only paints the hood it might have a slight different shade in the paint. Does this guy know what he is talking about? He says that the hood is the only part that this might happen to since its a big surface area. What are you guys experiences with painting aftermarket ports? I left the car at the shop but told him to test paint the hood and if he need to fade the paint into the fenders i wouldnt want the work done. My car has been garage kept and is not a daily driver, the paint is like new. I dont know what to think about this because i dont want the fenders messed with since there is nothing wrong with them. All comments are appreciated.

Here is the car with the chin, spoiler and hood painted and no blending. What do you guys think should I take it back to blend the fenders with the hood? The hood is the only part that seems to be a bit off color.

Here it is after the repaint, with the fender blending. I thinkit matches perfectly, I really like the outcome! Thanks for all the help guys, next thing to do is wheel widening! lol it never ends!!

Last edited by phatcat; 10-26-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: updated pics
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

That sounds pretty odd considering you have a current color.They should be able to color match that without any problems. If he can't blend paint he needs to practice.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

That is correct.

If you want it done right, so there are no variations in the colors, you will paint & clear the fenders when the hood is being painted.

one tip I would give you to save some money on the labor would be to remove & reinstall the fender badges yourself as well as disassemble & reassemble the front bumper cover, headlights, etc... they WILL charge you for this and it's something very easy to do yourself. I let them swap, shim, fit, & install my new hood.

here's mine at the body shop getting done.

Last edited by 05 Mustang; 09-26-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
o0xerog0o
2nd Gear Member

Blending the adjacent panels to a new or primed part is common practice at almost any reputable body shop, and there are many painters that would refuse to panel paint a fiberglass hood next to the factory painted fenders...

Sure, sometimes it can be done, and only upon close inspection will the difference be noticeable, but I, as a painter, wouldn't want to run the risk of doing all the prep work to paint a hood, have it not match, and then have to prep, mask and blend the fenders... Good luck with it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
phatcat
1st Gear Member

Well Im having a little trouble understanding the the process of blending. If there is a small difference in paint tone and they blend the fenders wouldnt the fenders now be a little different when compared to the doors of the car? Thanks for the picks 05 mustang. 05 mustang are your fenders noticibly different than your doors? o0xerog0o your comments will be greatly appreciated also.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

The color of your car makes a big difference on how badly they need to blend the fenders. If it's a Metallic color like mine, it is even more of a necessity. What they will do is prep the hood for paint and sand the fenders down with a fine grit sand paper which won't even go all the way through the clear coat usually. They then can mask off the fenders as well and paint the hood. When done doing that they will unmask the fender and basically just give them a light coat over the tops where they meet the hood and lightly spray a mist down the fender. This way the metallic or color where the hood meets the fenders will be the same. They won't paint the whole fender because then it wouldn't match the doors. After this blending, they will clear coat the hood and all of the fenders. This way the colors/metallic match between the hood/fenders and doors. While most cars have a "paint code" there can be several variations of shades in that one paint code. Most colors are impossible to match by panel painting and this blending procedure HAS to be done to look factory.

Last edited by tjr1973; 10-02-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

Excatly what 05 mustang said... I did the hood, chin spoiler, rear bumper, side skirts, and since I had my spoiler molded to my deck lid I had that painted also... after all that... I just had them paint the entire car!!! And I dont regret it for a second! It looks perfect and thats what I wanted!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that with metalics, the metalic flakes can lay a different directions giving it a very slight "different color" depending upon the angle you look at it. I had my rear bumper painted and the body shop didn't blend it with the fenders. It is slightly off and it drives me crazy! But they won't redo it or blend the fenders without charging me a ton. Lesson learned, I won't go there again.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

ICIBUY, which hood is that on your car? I know it's a Super Snake style hood but which brand? Is your car Satin Silver? Do you have any high res pictures? Looks awesome!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:16 PM
phatcat
1st Gear Member

Well mine was finished yesterday and the chin spoiler and the rear spoiler came out good but the hood does not match the rest of the car. It looks a little darker. I will go back on Monday and try to get them to redo it with the blending. The manager had garanteed me it would look the same and it doenst. I will post pics tonight so you guys can see them.

Quick Reply: Those of you who have painted parts