Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

That damn gap between rear bumper and fender

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
Well, I wish I had checked in with this thread one more time before I decided to go with my redneck/ghetto fix. Shoulda known Pascal would have an answer.

In an attempt to preserve my dignity I won't go into detail. I'll just say it's fixed now, and no one would ever know how without removing the taillight housing.
You got er done that's good. Saved yourself some time without screwing around with the tail lights - excellent.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Well, I wish I had checked in with this thread one more time before I decided to go with my redneck/ghetto fix. Shoulda known Pascal would have an answer.

In an attempt to preserve my dignity I won't go into detail. I'll just say it's fixed now, and no one would ever know how without removing the taillight housing.
Ok.. I just have to ask. How did you fix it? Did you end up screwing it in on the inside between the taillights? Is it that easy? I don't mind fixing it that way if it gets rid of that darn gap.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Okay, you talked me into it.

What I meant by "no one would ever know how without removing the taillight housing" was, you'd have to remove the taillight to see what I did. I removed the passenger's side taillight housing. You can see the "black plastic guide that is bolted to the body" that Pascal referred to. It's between the taillight and the side of the car. I pushed the bumper in to where I wanted it to sit, and drilled a hole through both the inner lip of the bumper and the plastic guide thing. Then I screwed the two together. The taillight housing hides everything.

I took pics with my phone, but since I'm not on my computer, I have no way of uploading them until next week.

Now, let me make this as clear as I can, I'm in no way recommending this method. Sounds like Pascal's got a much more professional solution that's not all that much more work to do. I'm just explaining what I did out of desperation and impatience. The chrome trim I have around my rear deck made the gap even more noticeable, and I couldn't stand it another minute.

Last edited by digitalcos; 10-07-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
azrael_nite
1st Gear Member

Okay, you talked me into it.

What I meant by "no one would ever know how without removing the taillight housing" was, you'd have to remove the taillight to see what I did. I removed the passenger's side taillight housing. You can see the "black plastic guide that is bolted to the body" that Pascal referred to. It's between the taillight and the side of the car. I pushed the bumper in to where I wanted it to sit, and drilled a hole through both the inner lip of the bumper and the plastic guide thing. Then I screwed the two together. The taillight housing hides everything.

I took pics with my phone, but since I'm not on my computer, I have no way of uploading them until next week.

Now, let me make this as clear as I can, I'm in no way recommending this method. Sounds like Pascal's got a much more professional solution that's not all that much more work to do. I'm just explaining what I did out of desperation and impatience. The chrome trim I have around my rear deck made the gap even more noticeable, and I couldn't stand it another minute.

Post pics when you have the time. Thanks for the explanation. Nice looking stang. Clean and simple. Love the chrome accent on the rear. Don't see that too often.