Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Shaker hood, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

... well, I seen some videos, they do make noise and add a bit of hp, but I am thiinking more about the money to spend on a new hood. The wrecked GT is red. Mine is black. It's pricey to spend on shipping for a hood to ship up here (AK), I have the stock GT/CS hood which is only cosmetic lol. I could strip the old hood of it's paint and repaint it.. not sure if it's worth the hassle though..
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

At least buy the shaker and sell it then for mod money lol. Great price.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

why do you think it will not fit on the stock GTCS hood, I have an 07 GTCS and the shaker worked fine on mine. BTW, I love mine.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
No power gains, and I think they are made to only allow air inside. They are generally more for looks but are functional, though they dont do much. I have seen some videos of them shaking back and forth which is kinda cool. I definitely like how they look and at that price go for it!
1. The Shaker Intake is a CAI. With tuning, you will see decent HP/TQ gains just like every other CAI on the market.

2. The Shaker is one of the true RAM AIR setups. Well, while in motion anyways.

3. The Shaker is mounted directly to the motor and merely sticks up through the hood cutout. So each time you rev the motor, it will "shake" independantly of the car body. Hence the name.

4. Ford has offered these hoods for years without issues. And you can get them as "stock" equipment on certain Saleen Stangs. Just ensure the drain lines are in good condition and you are set. The air has several changes in direction. This causes any entrained water to fall out prior to entering the motor.

For $200, I would be all over that intake. Even if you don't install it, you can re-sell her for x2 that price extremely easily.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TEXASGT/CS
why do you think it will not fit on the stock GTCS hood, I have an 07 GTCS and the shaker worked fine on mine. BTW, I love mine.
I believe I read it somewhere online, though I have ever met anyone that had one on their GT/CS. I looked underneath the hood and seen an indent I think, where the faux hood scoop mounts... either way, I'll pick it up and install it later.

wait a sec.. here it is..

PLEASE NOTE: SHAKER TRIM RING DOES NOT COVER THE FACTORY HOOD SCOOP HOLES (07+ FACTORY HOOD SCOOPS) that are left after the factory hood scoops are removed. Please see the Custom Design hood as an alternative replacement hood.)

I got it from their site..
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=107

Last edited by stealth_GT; 01-12-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
1. The Shaker Intake is a CAI. With tuning, you will see decent HP/TQ gains just like every other CAI on the market.

4. Ford has offered these hoods for years without issues. And you can get them as "stock" equipment on certain Saleen Stangs. Just ensure the drain lines are in good condition and you are set. The air has several changes in direction. This causes any entrained water to fall out prior to entering the motor.
How much modding would I have to do to the shaker housing? I have the C&L Racer intake already installed in my GT.

So there is no harm in snow build up in the vents? I live in Alaska at it gets horribly snowy and freezing cold outside. My only concern is snow or ice build up around the vents and/or it gets sucked into the intake box. I know there is a filter in there protecting it from getting sucked in, but still lol. Yes, I drive my GT in zero degree weather.

Sorry if I sound OCD about this, but I went through a phase of "buy now, regret later" lol.. it's made me more careful of future purchases.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 01-12-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 AM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
How much modding would I have to do to the shaker housing? I have the C&L Racer intake already installed in my GT.

So there is no harm in snow build up in the vents? I live in Alaska at it gets horribly snowy and freezing cold outside. My only concern is snow or ice build up around the vents and/or it gets sucked into the intake box. I know there is a filter in there protecting it from getting sucked in, but still lol. Yes, I drive my GT in zero degree weather.

Sorry if I sound OCD about this, but I went through a phase of "buy now, regret later" lol.. it's made me more careful of future purchases.
I drove my car through 2 winters here in Wisconsin, 1 with the shaker. No problems at all, heck I was more woried about it raining hard, but that is not a problem either.

I believe if you have the stock hood scoop, you will have issues with 2 of the holes not being covered, from what I have read?

I love the look of the Shaker even though everyone says it does nothing. I don't know about that? I got some tunes from Doug at Bamachips and when I first got them they all caused some lean codes to be thrown. I originally never stated that I had the shaker when I ordered the tunes. When I called Bamachips and had them adjust my tunes, I told them I had the shaker setup and had not stated it ........and that is supposedly something they needed to adjust for. I would think if they needed to adjust for it........that it actually does something? Although you don't need to retune for it when stock.......so who knows?

I am running the Bullit style FRPP CAI with it and it really is not that hard to fab something up. Do a search and you will see many peaple who have done so.

Last edited by MEK; 01-12-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I believe I read it somewhere online, though I have ever met anyone that had one on their GT/CS. I looked underneath the hood and seen an indent I think, where the faux hood scoop mounts... either way, I'll pick it up and install it later.

wait a sec.. here it is..

PLEASE NOTE: SHAKER TRIM RING DOES NOT COVER THE FACTORY HOOD SCOOP HOLES (07+ FACTORY HOOD SCOOPS) that are left after the factory hood scoops are removed. Please see the Custom Design hood as an alternative replacement hood.)

I got it from their site..
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=107
that is true, mine was installed at the dealer before I bought it, I wasnt thinking about you already having the faux scoop.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. Doh!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

.. Doh!
purchse it and I'll buy it from you.

Quick Reply: Shaker hood, worth it?