Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

antenna delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 AM
ploe

Default antenna delete?

so the roads were dry and the weather was fairly warm for a change, so i took my stang out of the garage for a spin..winter is too long; i couldn't hold out.

long story short, i take it to delta sonic (usually don't, just too cold to wash it :/) and they break my damn antenna off!!! i've been leaning toward taking the car to a body shop and telling them to delete the whole thing as if there wasn't supposed to be an antenna there at all.

has anyone successfully done this? i think i might have to have my dealer do it since they'd do a better job at matching vista blue...

do you think an antenna under the dash would give me good enough reception?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure about under the dash, but I know there is a walkthrough about putting the antenna across the top edge of the front window that seems to work just fine.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Heres the Walkthrough
Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

I did this on my last mustang - will post pics below.

The reception was um, well, none.
I also read about the antenna that goes in the window, and "apparently" it gets better reception...but never as good as factory.

The body shop I did it at, replaced the entire panel, i didnt want it filled, which is what most shops would do.

Kinda hard to see, but there used to be an antenna there.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM
ploe

Originally Posted by shooter23
I did this on my last mustang - will post pics below.

The reception was um, well, none.
I also read about the antenna that goes in the window, and "apparently" it gets better reception...but never as good as factory.

The body shop I did it at, replaced the entire panel, i didnt want it filled, which is what most shops would do.

Kinda hard to see, but there used to be an antenna there.
thanks. how much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

so in the dash is a bad idea. reading the writeup it seems like accross the front window works. do you guys think running an antenna under the cowl or somewhere under the hood would work? it's just a little less work than ripping my interior apart lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ploe
so the roads were dry and the weather was fairly warm for a change, so i took my stang out of the garage for a spin..winter is too long; i couldn't hold out.

long story short, i take it to delta sonic (usually don't, just too cold to wash it :/) and they break my damn antenna off!!! i've been leaning toward taking the car to a body shop and telling them to delete the whole thing as if there wasn't supposed to be an antenna there at all.

has anyone successfully done this? i think i might have to have my dealer do it since they'd do a better job at matching vista blue...

do you think an antenna under the dash would give me good enough reception?
They are cheep and easy to take off. I am taking mine off all the time. When I put the cover on and for the car wash. Takes 10 seconds. Put it in the trunk. Not really a problem. Its just on finger tight. Never has come off on its own.
My Ranger has the exact same antenna wire only silver instead of black. Same procedure for the ranger. Just unscrew it.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I think I read somewhere about someone installing the antenna in the A pillar. I don't know how well that would work. What you could do is put a power antenna in the slot and you wont have to see it unless you raise it. If you never listen to the radio and don't care then I say screw it and just get rid of the freaking thing all together. I unfortunately do listen to news and talk radio every so often so I wouldn't want a complete delete.