Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Rear blackout panel vinyl install=FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Question:

I had the vinyl installed, and got a lot of the bubbles out. Then I turned the hair dryer on, and it was like a teenager on the night before the prom....

Pimples everyfrigginwhere! Was that a mistake?

I used a credit card to get a lot of the bubbles out, but I guess I rubbed too hard and ripped one open. That's when I said some bad words and "uninstalled" the vinyl.

Should I just get out what I can by pressing gently, and let it sit in the sun for awhile to get the rest?

This is assuming I'm ever brave enough to try this again...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

ok. use these steps.

claybar the decklid to make sure no sand / dirt is there, because you will kick your self in the " teef " <- lol had to.
Clean the area.
Spray windex. LIBERALY
peel vinyl off it's paper backing and lay on the decklid.
Start to squeegee from the interior towards the edges. take your time and make sure you get the bubbles out. If you mess up again drive your car to NC and I'll do it for you lol
Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Righto!

The car was originally sold in NC....

I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
I don't like burning bridges, I like an easy 'way back' in case I don't like my mods.

Oh wait, no, that's not entirely true................. <gulp>

LMAO

wow.... didnt realize you were a conversion glass roof. How much did that cost if you dont mind? any problems seance?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I will be doing the vinyl now. Got pissed and ripped my magnetic one in half. Stupid POS!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
I will be doing the vinyl now. Got pissed and ripped my magnetic one in half. Stupid POS!!
LOL, you must of really been pissed to rip it in half, though I am noticing mine is shrinking around the edges.. Hmmmm.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
LOL, you must of really been pissed to rip it in half, though I am noticing mine is shrinking around the edges.. Hmmmm.
Sadly, not really. I just pulled the edge up and yanked, and then it ripped under the "gas cap". I wasnt trying to rip it. Not impressed at all with the quality of that thing.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Oh ok. I thought you took the panel and just ripped it in half like the Hulk, lol.

I'm thinking of the SHR honeycomb panel, but not sure if I like where the look of my car is going. Roush front, FR500 wheels, lol, don't know if it'll fit in. Vinyl blackout is another thought.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

No, not like that I was installing the sequential taillights and it had been raining here all day. Water from behind the gas cap and panel kept dripping on my head while I was taking the bolts loose inside the trunk and I had a temper tantrum like my 3 yo daughter.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Mine covered 99% of the rear when I first installed it. Now 3 months later it has shrunk at least a quarter inch on both sides. I like the look but seriously what a POS it is.

I find it hard to spend the $ on the SHR piece when it doesnt make my car go any faster! LOL

patrick

Quick Reply: Rear blackout panel vinyl install=FAIL